Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork loin help

Options
skihorn
skihorn Posts: 600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, I am from Texas and we don't do a lot of pork (other than ribs). Even our butchers seem to use different terminology than used on here.

I was given a piece of meat labelled 3 1b pork loin hand written by the butcher. It is a fairly square looking piece of meat.

In searching recipes and old posts it seems like this loin is much smaller than most. I don't think it is a tenderloin based on the shape (but what do I know).

What temp should I cook it (325 indirect?) and to what internal temp? How long will it take? Should I sear it before or after?

Thanks in advance.

Merry Christmas!
Freddie
League City, TX

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    You can do it direct or indirect. No need to sear. Put your favorite rub for spares on on it, put it on at 350 dome, and cook to 140 internal temp. Center will be a little pink and it will be real moist.

You could also butterfly and stuff then cook the same way.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    The loin is the large muscle running down the back of the animal. A full loin will be in the neighborhood of 8 or 9 pounds. Yours is just a section cut from a full loin.

They're kind of hard to do wrong, other than over-cooking, and even then they're somewhat forgiving. They take marinades and rubs very well. They cook relatively quickly and have just enough fat to keep them tasty, but are lean enough to satisfy the lean meat crowd.

Low and slow isn't going to gain you anything with them. Roast at 350ish. Direct if you want a little browning, indirect if you don't.
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    Thanks guys. Sounds pretty idiot proof.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Idiot proof AND delicious. My kind of cut.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    This will be cook #5 for me this weekend...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.