Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Tamale Day!!

fire eggerfire egger Posts: 1,124
edited 5:51AM in EggHead Forum
It's become kind of a tradition to have tamales for Christmas at our house, so today was the day to make that happen
Started with two butts on the egg at 9 last night, thought I might stay up up and see the eclipse, but clouds moved in
IMG_1722.jpg
butts off the egg, pulled and mixed with ground red chile. s&p, coumin, garlic and chicken stock
IMG_1734.jpg
Spent the next couple hours rolling tamale's
IMG_1736.jpg
IMG_1738.jpg
time for a beer
and done
IMG_1746.jpg
Add Chile con Carne and some beans, call it dinner
IMG_1747.jpg
thanks for looking, have a good night y'all

Comments

• Dang you did not wait for us :angry: looks great :)
  • LDDLDD Posts: 1,225
    very nice...looks like it was worth the time and effort
    context is important :)
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Kendall, Between you and Randy doing this cook....you all are killing me. Love them!!!
    Looks really good!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    I been wantin to make those forever.Yours look GREAT!
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 8,118
    When time is your enemy, this is a grat solution!

http://www.cornmaidenfoods.com/no
  • fire eggerfire egger Posts: 1,124
    next time we'll wait :whistle: thanks!
    thanks, it was, good family time!
    thanks Molly, we love them to, we try to do them a couple times a year.
    thanks Hoss!
  • Mr HollowayMr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Awsome Kendell
    Gotta try my hand at these some day
    Thanks for the post :)

Shane
    thanks Shane!
  • Kendell, after looking in awe at your and AZRP's tamale posts, I've put tamales on my list of things to make when I retire! They look yummy. :)
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    It's that time of the year alright.... Wow, I steam mine with the open ends up. But looking at your's they came out just fine. I've never seen that before.

2081c476.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
    Hey Rebecca, after all of the things I've seen you cook, tamales shouldnt be a challenge!! this year everbody was gone, so it fell to just the wife and I, but usually it's a whole family affair, everbody helps,takes some of the work out of it, and good family time :)
    Must be a regional thing, I've never seen them done open. I learned to make them with the ends folded, here in Arkansas, most people tie both ends, no folds. They will all eat :) :)
  • Oh drool. Those look fantastic. I love the photo of them all lined up in the steamer.

I don't know why, but for some reason, I have the U2 song "Running to Stand Still" from The Joshua Tree stuck in my head. There's a part where Bono sings "ah la la la de day" and I keep hearing "ah la tamale day" over and over. Clearly something is wrong with me.
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    I made my second batch this winter last weekend, they are a lot of work but so good. -RP

IMG_2033.jpg
  • dhuffjrdhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Man I need to do these some day.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    But in a good way!!!
  • BoogieBoogie Posts: 137
    I can vouch for AZRP's. My daughter and I fought over the last one this morning. Even if it didn't have raisins.
  • how about a how to recipe?

thanks lou