Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When Do You Smoke 'Em?

Options
SmokinParrotHead
SmokinParrotHead Posts: 532
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have done all types of trials, some good and some bad. What are most of your preferences for adding smoke wood to a low and slow cook?

Right after you light? Right before the food goes on? During the cook?

I know different types of foods take smoke different, just curious how you pros do it??

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I ain't no pro but prefer to layer the wood in 2-3 layers of the charcoal and after the smoke settles down throw some of top just before adding the meat.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    layered for slow cooks
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    What Richard said- I like to mix through the lump.

I took some pics of my last butt cook as I layered up the wood. I used hickory chunks and cherry chips.

DSC_0176.JPG

DSC_0177.JPG

DSC_0178.JPG

I was pretty pleased with the smoke flavor. Usually I would throw some chips on before adding the meat, but it smelled "just right" so I didn't add extra in this case. As you can see- there is a pretty nice size chunk in the center near the bottom, so I think it was huffing away when I put the meat on.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i like to let the smoke settle with a low and slow however with a butt and how long it cooks ill let the lump settle in, tos on what i want for soke and the butt goes right on. with the long cook i lose the flavor of alot of rub and that bad smoke, i dont believe that bad smoking wood flavor matters much, not like bad lump flavor, let the lump burn clean by smoke, toss the wood on, toss on a butt, long smoke your good to go. alot will disagree but i cant tell the difference. shorter cooks and you need things burning better
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    Try to let the fire settle to the temp I want, add smokin wood wait about another 15 minutes and then add meat.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I fill the Egg with lump,throw in a generous amount of chips or chunks, then stir it up vigorously with my BillyBar.Light the Egg,get it to temp.Let the smoke get blue and cook away.Smoke from beginning to end.Degree of smoke flavor I want dictates how much wood I stir into the lump.