Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egret Ham...few questions

iahawkfan16
iahawkfan16 Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We will be at my parent's house for Christmas with no BGE, but I still want to try Egret's ham recipe. The hame is about 7-8 lbs, I will be using an electric roaster @ 250. Will it still take about 5 hours to hit the 140 mark? It is a spiral cut ham. Thanks in advance, MErry Christmas.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Not sure how your roaster cooks compared with an EGG, but my BGE would take about 3 1/2 hours be careful as the spiral cut ones will dry out if left tooo long.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=734577&catid=1
  • Jason
    1. I apologize for your taste in football but I commend your taste in food :blink:

2. Do you have a thermapen or thermometer you can bring with? The unsliced parts of the ham near the bone will be a good place to check temps. Check after 2 hours and gauge your next move from there.

I did a 24lb whole ham on the egg for 7 hours and then finished it in the roaster while we waited for people to get there and it turned out great. You should be ok, just make sure you check up on her.
  • Dirty...I will go out on a limb and say you're a Northwestern fan B)?

Thanks for the tip, yes, I have a thermapen and a digi Q, I think I will take both and just continually monitor the temp. I'm also thinking about putting the ham on a V-Rack or Trivet w/ a foil drip pan underneath filled with some liquid? Would you guys tent it with foil or just let it ride in the roaster?

Thanks again everyone.