Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket question...did I screw up?

Options
RajunCajun
RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought a 12lb brisket today thinking that I have always cooked ones of that size and figured it would fit in my marinating container....WRONG!! I went ahead and cut ~6" off of the end of the brisket. I am going to cook the two together but will insert my Digi Q probe into the larger portion.

Did I screw anything up? What should I have done (aside from buy a smaller brisket)?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Rajuncajun
The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Can't help you with the brisket but an amazing handle! Doug Kershaw was amazing!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RajunCajun
    Options
    Thanks Steven. Yes indeed...Doug is something to listen to. His cousin Sammy Kershaw is also from ~20 miles from here. I see you are in Canada. I was up near the Georgian Bay last year. Beautiful indeed.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    You didn't screw anything up, but that 6" you cut off aisn't going to be any good. You can save it and cube it up for chili or something
  • Little Steven
    Options
    RajunCajun,

Yes it is pretty. Were you in the thirty thousand islands area?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RajunCajun
    Options
    Not sure...I was in Midland visiting a customer of ours.
  • RajunCajun
    Options
    Thanks Fidel...I kinda wondered about that. So what about the process is different for the 6" than the rest of the brisket?
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    That thin part will just cook much faster than the rest of it. The thin end of the flat usually doesn't turn out as good as the rest of the brisket anyway - normally a little crispy and dry.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Midland is OK but it gets absolutely brilliant as you go north from there. If you ever get back take a ride up 169 if it isn't winter.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RajunCajun
    Options
    haha...sounds like I did screw up. I cut the thicker end off. Too much wine and a Saints loss affected my concentration.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Why did you think you needed to marinate it? And what were you planning on marinating it in ? (not the container... the mixture)
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • RajunCajun
    Options
    Good question my friend....good question. Seasoned and stuffed it and I have a special blend of seasonings I usually like to marinade my meat in.

Oh well....lesson learned.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Well, I'm not suggesting that's a bad thing.... I'm just curious about other ways to cook a brisket.

DSC09767a.jpg

BTW, I cook a mean brisket flat in the oven... wrapped in foil no less. Heheheee.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    :blink: You cut the THICK end off? :huh: Grind it up and make some brisket burgers,they are YUMMEE!