Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trial Run

Options
Ike
Ike Posts: 291
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
No problem finding plenty of ham and turkey to eat over the holidays, have a turkey here to smoke myself.

For the last couple of months or so, Ive been going over something in my mind that would be a little different, but still stay within the "holiday food" theme. I just put it on my LBGE.

Had a 5 lb pork loin, flattened it out. Spread a 20 oz can of apple pie filling onto it, then sprinkled out a 6 oz bag of Craisins (cranberry) and the zest of 1 large orange. Then I rolled & tied, coated with some Pineapplehead, put on indirect @ 340 or so. I plan on finishing it off with some maple/butter glaze.

It looked & smelled awesome, I just had to share my excitement!

I have a nice camera and a new computer, so no excuses for no photos. I would make it New Year resolution to start taking pics, but we know where those resolutions end up, don't we?
Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.

Comments

• Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    Options
    Wow, that does sound great. You going to be adding any salt to the mix? I would like think the sugar content between the apple pie filling, and the glaze might be overpowering.

Maybe sea salt roasted potatoes to round out the meal.
  • MCR
    MCR Posts: 270
    Options
    Wow! Sound like a plan... I want to try-it myself.

Good new year resolution... but I would like to see pictures of this one.

Thanks
    Marc
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    That sounds a lot like Christmas :laugh:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That sounds great. It is like a meal and dessert rolled into one!

Not to late to take some pics...at least we can see the finished product :).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    well you know what they say no pictures of the cook it didnt really happen :whistle: :unsure: :laugh:
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 291
    Options
    You will just have to take my word that it has a very festive appearance...lol. Came out very tasty!
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.