Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoked fish

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would appreciate anyone's advise on smoking fish slowly. What is the lowest temperature I can maintain and still maintain a fire? My aim is to produce what I have heard referred to as "cold smoked" fish. It is coated with a dry rub of spices and smoked for a long time. Still looking for recipes and directions.[p]

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Ken,[p]A true cold smoke as you describe is done at temps in the 70-90F range. I have not attempted this cook, but have smoked pork bellies for bacon at temps in the 90-100F range. I use a very small fire and cold firebricks in the Egg. it works nicely.[p]If you try this, I'd appreciate your sharing. Thanks.[p]Spin

• Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    Ken,[p] I tried some cold-smoked salmon last year. I've linked the thread below. Next time I need to dry the fish more after I smoke it. I'm also considering an experiment of lighting the fire in my small BGE and piping the smoke into the large. Should be able to keep the tempreature low that way. People have also suggested keeping the top closed and regulating with only the bottom vent (I did the opposite). What kind of texture are you looking for? Is the fish "cooked", i.e. flaky in what you're doing, or is it more gelatinous (orange-pinkish) looking?[p]MikeO[p]PS If you search the archives, there are a couple other threads about this, too . . .
    [ul][li]Cold-Smoked Salmon Thread[/ul]