Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoked ABTs?

Options
ATX
ATX Posts: 98
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing a few racks of babybacks here in a few hours. Was thinking about tossing on a few ABTs. Do they cook well at that low of temps? Don't want my bacon to taste like rubber bands.
Thanks ya'll
A

Comments

• CaptainSpaulding
    Options
    I'm probably chiming in too late for your cook, but I prefer to cook them at about 250° dome. I use regular (thin) sliced bacon and find that low and slow lets the bacon render and get crispy. Usually takes 1.5 to 2 hours.

Here's my last ABT cook. Lots of sugar maple for smoke wood and stuffed with cream cheese, minced buckboard bacon, onion soup mix and chiptle powder. Sprinkled the chipotle powder on the bacon, too. Best results, to date. 250° dome indirect for about 2 hours.

db046e95.jpg

Hope you decided to do them. Should be excellent!

Joe
  • ATX
    ATX Posts: 98
    Options
    Those look fantastic. I decided on tater salad and pinto beans to go with the ribs instead of ABTs. But I think I'll fire up some of these badboys tomorrow for game time munchin.

Thanks, Amaury
  • CaptainSpaulding
    Options
    Thanks, Amaury. They got rave reviews at the poker game I brought them to. Let us know how they come out if you git-r-dun tomorrow.

Joe