Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corn Cobs for Smoking

Options
yaB
yaB Posts: 137
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In addition to the Egged turkey, we had a Harrington smoked ham on the menu yesterday. I've been of the opinion for some years now that the Harrington hams and bacon are about the best available, or at least the best I've tried. [p]I should say that I don't experiment much with hams any more, since the damn things last so long. In our house, a ten-pound ham seems to have a life of its own, well beyond a ten-pound turkey or any other ten-pound hunk of meat. When I "invest" in one, I want it to at least meet my expectations for "good". [p]Anyway, Harrington meats are smoked using corn cobs, which brings me to my question. Is anyone here smoking meats of any kind with corn cobs? Yesterday's meal re-kindled my curiosity about this stuff.[p]Any info on sources for corn cobs, cob smoke-to-meat affinities, etc. is much appreciated. [p]Regards to all,
Bob

Comments

• Redwing
    Options
    yaB,When I was a small boy my grandfather had a farm and raised all of the meat they would eat. One of the neatest things I remember about my childhood back soo far ago that I can't even remember was the brick smokehouse grandpa had. In the fall when we butchered he smoked all of the hams and bacon using corn cobbs. They were about the best ham and bacon you ever put in your mouth. [p]I haven tried using any corn cobbs for smoke in the BGE yet but you have just brought up something I really want to try. [p]Good cooking to you. Let us know on the forum if you try it and how it turns out. Steve

• Dr_Redwine
    Options
    yaB,
    Alton Brown has a 'corn' episode where he mentions saving cobs from sweet corn he cut for creamed corn. I don't recall any particulars other than he said to use them for smoke instead of hardwood on your next cook. Keep us posted.
    DrR

• BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    yaB, Ham lasts a long time at my home also. If ham was not so salty, I am sure it would be eaten up immediately. I made Dr. Chicken's double smoked ham for Christmas dinner.[p]Corn cob smoking sounds very interesting and I think I will try it. There are a lot of farmers (some are relatives) around here so I may have to scrounge for some cobs.[p]This first link below is a brief description of smoking with corn cobs and the second link is a source of processed cobs. [p]
    http://www.seasoned.com/issues/199805/c.if.p4.html[p]http://www.kitchenshop.com/catalog/CS-CQCC.shtml[p]Beers, [p]BeerMike

I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    Options
    BeerMike,[p]Thanks for the links. I'll check them out later today.[p]As for salty hams, I agree that most are way too salty, at least to my taste buds. The Harrington hams and bacon that I mentioned are much better than most in that regard, imo. [p]I'll also have to check out the Dr. Chicken recipe you mentioned to see how much salt or other cure is involved. I'd never considered smoking my own ham, but now that the corn cob smoking thing has been "rekindled" in my mind, I might give it a shot, assuming that the sodium-whatever compounds can be kept to a minimum.[p]Bob