Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

stuck or frozen cover on bge

Options
Razorback
Razorback Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Merry Christmas everybody!!!! Listen I need help quick my bge cover is stuck or frozen how can I get it opened so I can smoke my Christmas turkey for my family. Please respond asap. thanks, razor

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    razorback,[p]I had that problem this morning too with my small...[p]If there is still lump in the firebox, take a lighter cube or your mapp torch and hold it lit in the bottom vent up near the grate. Once the lump lights and the fire heats, it'll free your lid. Just leave the bottom and top vents WAO (wide _ _ _ open). But don't rush it by pulling on the handle alot. I did and pulled up a one inch strip of my gasket in the front. It didn't come off, but it did come loose.
  • Mark Backer,
    thank you so much i will give it a try ho ho ho you made my christmas......

• razorback,
    I usually stick the heat gun in the bottom vent and turn it on. After about 15 to 20 minutes, not only is it thawed the fire is usually lit and almost ready to go.

• egghead2004
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    This has been happening to me every day now. I just make sure I leave some lump in the fire box to get it lit like you noted. Just don't force the cover, you could rip the gasket.

• redneck mike (and everyone else),
    thanks for the timely tips... you are aware that it is cold in Atlanta today, and I was about to let brute strength get the better of me, by ripping my egg to shreds, and throwing my back out, to boot...[p]Merry Christmas...

• Razorback
    Options
    BGE ATL Apprentice,
    Thanks for the help Ive got it open now smoking a 14lb turkey at about 330 degrees any idea how long it will take to cook thanks and merry christmas

• kim
    kim Posts: 63
    Options
    AH! Now I read this, after I dragged it in the house and used my hair dryer....
    Kim

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    razorback,
    My Egg was frozen too today first time in 5 years. Only took a few minutes with a couple of starter cubes.
    NOTE: I seem to recall sometime back a suggestion was offered. Put a few pieces of wax paper folded over between the top and bottom. May do that tonight although I don't think it's damp now!