Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Best lump in N/NW Houston

texas_archertexas_archer Posts: 56
edited 8:55AM in EggHead Forum
Hey guys, what is the best lump/place to buy lump in N/NW Houston? Currently, Im using BGE Lump, but would prefer something that imparted a stronger flavor to the food but still be quality lump.

Thanks.

Comments

• a4carta4cart Posts: 21
    Cunnungham Gas Products in Spring sells Fireking lump which is some good lump their number is 1-800-833-5998 ask for Rodney
  • Does that lump impart a stronger flavor than BGE lump?
  • Does that lump impart a stronger flavor than BGE lump?
  • ShiffShiff Posts: 1,699
    I use Royal Oak (also makes BGE lump)as my standard charcoal. When I want a smokier flavor, I add a few chunks of cherry, mesquite, hickory, or other flavored wood. This way, I get to use a very good, inexpensive, standard charcoal with the amount of smoke flavor that I desire.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • srq2625srq2625 Posts: 262
    I used three different lumps, In ascending order preference (best is last) these are Cowboy Lump, Royal Oak (from Wally-World no less), and Wick Good Weekend Warrior.

While it's a bit more expensive, by far the best is the Wicked Good. Burns better, longer, hotter, lower ash, etc. My nearest source is 90 miles away - guess what I do whenever I make that drive for other reasons :whistle:

You can also order it from the manufacturer. After shipping, my last order averaged just over $1/pound.

Go to [url="http://www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com/"]their site[/url] and have a look. They have a dealer locator as well as a direct order page.
  • I picked up 20 lbs of Frontier brand yesterday after reading the review on Naked Wiz. I will try it next weekend.