Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wasn't feeling real good to day at work, and since I have plenty of sick time, I decided to leave. Needed to pick up some meds at the store and while I was there I figured I'd get a chicken. Maybe if I cook it right, the wifey will make some chicken and dumplings out of it or some chicken noodle soup. That and I just wanted to play with my new BGE.

Spatchcocked the chicken and went easy on the seasining hoping it will go in a soup of something. Just salt and pepper and some Montreal Chicken Grinder.
P1020095.jpg

Got it stablilized at 350 indirect and threw it on.
P1020096.jpg

Now its time to sit back on the couch and rest and relax until its done. Will post up pics when its all done.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That is a nice size bird! Only problem is you are going to eat it all so there will be nothing left for soup.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Yea, Smokey is right, either you will eat it all or, if you have neighbors within smellin' distance, they will appear and your chicken will disappear!! :laugh: :P :woohoo:
    Either way, no soup, no dumplings :laugh:
  • Griffin
    Options
    Think it was about a 5lber. I'm not gonna touch it at all, just let Stace do what she's gonna do with it. Ok, I might try a bit of it first. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

• Capt Frank
    Options
    Just remember the old potato chip commercial "you can't eat just one!" :P
  • Griffin
    Options
    Finished pictures.

Almost done. Took the placesetter out to go more direct and crisp up the skin.
    P1020097.jpg

Done
    P1020098.jpg

P1020099.jpg

I might have to go try it, but I'm trying to save it for later meals. So tempting.

Rowlett, Texas

• Capt Frank
    Options
    Griffin, All kidding aside, nice job, but here are a couple of tips to getting a nice crispy skin [your finished pics to not appear to be very crispy, I apologize if I am wrong].

1. Pat you bird dry and apply your rub, put him in the fridge for at least two hoursuncovered[/u , longer is better.
    2. Cook him as high in the dome as you can, 350-375, should only take 75-90 min, depending on size of bird.
    The additional height gives you more of a convection oven effect, which adds to crispness.
    3. Lots of folks will put a light dusting of cornstarch on their bird for crispness, I have never done it, but I'm sure it works.
    Hope this helps :)
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Griffin: Agreeing with Frank completely here. You did a great job! When going indirect, I will even go as high as 400-425* dome...never had an issue needing to crisp up skin. And the cornstarch trick works, too, especially on wings. :) Great job again! Especially knowing you're not feeling well (or maybe had a case of BGE fever... :whistle: ) :laugh:
    Also knowing you aren't feeling well, make sure you catch the fried pork butt thread. I responded to you and Lovenbrau. Just don't want you to miss it. ;) Feel better!!
  • apollo140140
    Options
    looks pretty dang good. think you could snitch a piece or two and still have enough for your chicken and dumplings or something.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Griffin, Great job on your chick there. Soon you will be knocking out yard bird all the time. I cook mine up high in the dome direct at 400F degrees. I also grill mine until the thighs reach 200F internal temp. Sure the breast gets a little done but the rest of the bird is super fantastic and the skin is sooooo crispy mmmmmmm mm. :P Have fun and hope you get to feeling better. ;) Tim
  • Egghead Willie
    Options
    Great job on that bird. Now I know what i'm having tomorrow night.
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Cookin on the Egg always makes ya feel better :laugh:
    Looks good Griffin :)
  • Griffin
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words and advice.

I think it came out pretty well for only my second time using a BGE. I did sneak a few bites and it was so juicy. I will try some of the tips offered for crispy skin, but it wasn't really my goal here, since the skin will get pulled off, and the chicken de-boned and torn into pieces for soup or dumplings.

In the past, on other grills, for crispy skin I usually pat the bird down, put the rub on and then sit in the fridge for a few hours. Time did not allow me to do that today. Picked the bird up on the way home, started the egg, rubbed the bird after the egg had settled down, and threw it on when there were no more of those nasty VOCs. Haven't tried the cornstarch method. Maybe another time.

Anyway, thanks again.

Rowlett, Texas