Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Storms last night

Options
Misippi Egger
Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I had to sign off the Forum and unplug all the computers when the lightning became continuous and the sirens were screaming. Never could get the ole NOAA weather radio to come on, though, despite resetting and reprogramming the frequencies.

Here is a pic from one of our TV meteorologists with the tornado warnings (red boxes) in their listening area (47 tornado warnings last night). Yellow boxes are hvy thunderstorm warnings. Green boxes ?? Who knows? Probably hail the size of BGE's? :ohmy:

Madison is located in the middle of the center green (BGE warning) box.

Tornadowatches.jpg

Only place hit was Yazoo City (north and west of us). No deaths, but considerable damage. Same place that was badly hit about a year ago. :(

Bubba climbed out of the remnants of his mobile home (tornado magnet) and said "Sounded to me like a train was a comin'". :ohmy: ;) :laugh:

Comments

• elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    I am glad to see you posting tonight! That was a very nasty mess of weather - very lucky that the damage was not worse, and thankful for no loss of life. :)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Oh my Clark!! So glad everyone is ok...rattled, but in good health. You all will be in my thoughts and prayers for the stuff recovory!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Glad your OK Clark. ;)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    If it were'nt Autum,I'd call that a dose of Spring showers! :whistle: Just funnin.Glad ya'll are O.K.If you did'nt already know you were Blessed,you do now. ;)
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    That just plain sucks..glad to hear you and most others survived...freaky weather anymore..
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Weather 'girl' just said there were 7 tornado touchdowns last night.

Fortunately, the tornado storms seem to either pass to the northwest of us or southeast. :whistle: I hope our luck holds out! We do have an inside closet identified as a shelter, if needed - don't have a true underground one though.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I feel ya man. We had a tornado touch down less than 2 miles from my house tonight. Destroyed 58 homes. Ugly mess around the corner.

I think it is the same storm band that passed through you guys yesterday.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Yeah, I saw on the news today where ATL had tornados.

Glad you were OK, though that was awfully close!
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Glad yall made it through, Clark. We had pretty nasty stuff here tonight.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks, Todd.

Hope you guys do OK tonight!
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Clark: So glad to see all is well for you, and glad no loss of life elsewhere! We get our turn with that front tomorrow night. :blink: Glad all is well!
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Glad no on got hurt it is sad to hear the same place got hit again. We will say our pryaers for everyone.

Patti
    Wichita, KS
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks, Michelle. I hope the front has 'burned out' somewhat before it gets there.
    Cold here this am - 31* official (36 on my porch). Predicted 27 tomorrow am.

I thought this was the South ! :ohmy:
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks, Patti.

Being in Kansas, you have a good idea what it's like with these storms and the uncertainty of where they will hit next. :ohmy:
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Those kind of storms scare the daylights out of me. At least you can see a hurricane coming and get out of its way. These things are like a loose bullet in a crowd.

Glad no one was killed but sad that so many lives have to start over.

Spring "Spared The Wrath" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Weather like that can make for a long evening. Here they also provide text messaging on cell phones from the local TV networks to give people info in an emergency. Maybe an option if the NOAA radio is useless. :)
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    zsheeshe!!! that doesnt look fun. I guess i will take my blizzards this time of year over that stuff. :huh:
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Good suggestion.
    I did that with the state DOT - traffic alerts. Now I can find no way to turn them off (text, email, or phone call). :ohmy:
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Good point comparing the slow arrival of hurricanes with the sudden onslaught of tornados!
    I watched pics on the news last night of all the home and businesses destroyed right here at Christmas time! Sad!
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    I don't know! 40-60 below (before the wind is figured in) is not something I would be able to accept. :ohmy: I KNOW my wife would NEVER live in those conditions. :woohoo:
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    LOL :laugh: you can get used to it! But as I get older, i keep asking myself why I live up here! I probably wouldn't beable to handle the 100+ temps in the summer, it gets hot up here but not like you guys down there. Everyone should visit up here so they can have the experience of a true winter storm :) I am sure the Eggers North of the Border know what i am talking about with the cold temps and true winter storms. We had a lot of tornadoes up here this past summer, so we get them, there was over 50 in 1 day, that set a new record. But none the less, you should come up Ice Fishing! I have some friends in Alabama, that can't believe that we Ice Fish!!! :laugh: :)