Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby back thoughts and question...

Options
Roanokesmoke
Roanokesmoke Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First, lately I've decided to tweak things a bit in regard to doing baby back ribs. Typically I use dizzy dust rub, smoke at 225-230 or so for 5-6 hours and coating with my favorite sauce (Fox Bros.) at the end, which has given me great results. Lately, however, I've decided to really go low and slow...200-205 for 8 hours, and I got to say that they are even better than they were cooked at 225 previously. Have any of you had this same experience as well in regard to doing ribs at different temps?

As for my question, it seems a good few of you here foil your ribs when they're done for 20-30 minutes before serving. Any reason for this and/or why I should do the same? Typically I just pull 'em off, slice them up and let people go to town on them.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i have "screwed up" a couple rib cooks. one, by accidentally putting them on the same time i was starting a butt (for an overnight), and cooking them all night instead of putting them on the next morning. the other was by once forgetting i even had them on (was working and lost track of time).

both times the ribs (spares) went 8 or 9 hours at 250, and i figured they were toast.

best i have ever done. very tender without being over done (not "fall off the bone").

i don't know if a certain temp is better or not, i just know that it takes longer to do them the lower you go.

i think you could go 300 and be done sooner, too. my point is that when i forget to worry about them, they are better. i think i might be in the habit of taking them off too soon
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Roanokesmoke
    Options
    interesting thoughts and in a way it doesn't surprise me. I guess what I'm getting at is perhaps the ribs taste better (or are at least even more tender) when you do them ultra low/slow as compared to the more typical 225 for 5-6 hour cooks. Heck, maybe it was all coincidence and that extra 2 hours of cooking was a waste of time but regardless I'm going to stick to 200-205 for a while...
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    All that babyback ribs talk makes my mouth water.

There are people who insist on "fall off the bone" ribs, and the only way to do that is to foil (steam) them. If you're happy with a little more bite, forget the foiling.

I did both types in one cook (fussy relatives) using Ceramic Grill Store adjustable rig, oval slide-out grid, and grid extender. No extra work, really. It was a huge success.

Judy
    Judy in San Diego
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I'm going the other way on temp, closer to 275+. I find it provides a better bark than lower temps.

Foil is part of the 3-1-1 method: 3 hours smoke, 1 hour in foil and 1 hour sauce. I never get to the full last hour, usually closer to 30 minutes. you can google ribs and 3-1-1 and probably find a bunch of topics.
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Most of us foil them for a bit then finnish them up back on the rack for 20 or 30 min. at the end. What this does is tinderize even a nasty tough rack of ribs. The 30 min. back on the grill at the end firms them a bit so there are not mushy.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I am a foil advocate..I do not foil before serving but more a variant of the 3-1-1 method..the foiling step is more a step in the cooking process.call it braising..and the final hour or whatever time deemed necessary to firm the ribs back up..there is no wrong way ...and I have owned eggs for over 10 years...short of you living in the Antartic I would love to see validation of you cooking between 200 & 205 for 8 hours without the fire going out..a 100 watt light bulb can maintain 200 in an egg..short of sub zero temps 200° cooking temps dont make it very long where we live..