Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Cornish Hen recipe? Thanks!

Options
Scooby's Eggin again!
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking for a Cornish Hen recipe. First time at this so I am looking for a great recipe. Have a few ideas from the forum search. But still looking for ideas before the cook. Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance!
Rich

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Orange marmalade and horseradish, equal parts, rub inside and out.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    You could spatchcock them like chicken or as I like stuff them. Sometimes I wrap them in bacon when stuffed.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=496936&catid=1
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    actually my wife and I prefer Cornish Game Hens over regular yard birds, but I fix them pretty much the same as a regular and DP's Shakin the Tree is a CGH success story in a shaker! Recently I found a good sale price and put a dozen of the little tykes in the freezer!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    Halve or spatchcock the hens. Brush with mix of chicken or duck fat (or butter) with tarragon and lemon juice and paprika. Cook direct but not super hot. Or, when I do them whole I put celery leaves, tarragon and lemon wedges inside for aromatics, with the same basting sauce.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Your favorite poultry rub and 400 on a raised grid with lite smoke. These had onion, rosemary, thyme and other stuff in them
    IMG_4505800x600.jpg

You could also stuff them with a cornbread dressing and egg them over a tray of your favorite veggies
    IMG_3908800x600.jpg
  • Di
    Di Posts: 395
    Options
    I like to stuff them. Two ways that I've tried both with great results.

#1 = Baked some bread in the bread machine, cubed some of it, tossed with olive oil and toasted. Sauteed apples,adding walnuts, maple syrup, rosemary, dried cranberries, Mural of Flavor, salt and pepper to the bread cubes. Stuffed the hen and roasted it in a small CI pan.

1/2 c. butter
    1/2 c. chopped onion
    1/2 c. chopped green pepper
    1 (8 oz.) can cream style corn
    1/2 c. milk
    1/2 tsp. sage
    1 (6 oz.) pkg. Stove Top cornbread stuffing
    2 Cornish hens or 1 roasting chicken
    Sauté about 5 minutes, the chopped onion and chopped green pepper in the butter. Stir in the cream style corn, milk and marjoram leaves. Bring all this to a boil. Remove from heat and add 1 (6 oz.) package Stove Top cornbread stuffing mix and seasoning packet. Mix well. Set aside to cool. Stuff 2 Cornish hens and bake at 350 degrees for about 1 1/2 hours.

Fire up a full chimney of BGE charcoal. Prepare for indirect cooking at 350-400 degrees.
    Rub hens with EVOO and season with rub. Stuff hens.
    Cook hens for 1 hour on indirect heat. Remove place setter and cook on direct heat turning often for half hour to crisp the skin.
  • Thanks everyone for all of the help!

Rich