Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey skin drying; how long is too long?

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I'm brining the bird today so that I can take it out of the brine after 12 hours at around 10:30pm tonight. Then I was going to let it dry uncovered in the fridge until morning, another 10 hours before taking it out to come to room temp as the Egg gets going at a steady 325 for a projected noon Thanksgiving meal. I feel confident on everything except I've never dried out the bird for that long. Is it too long? I'm planning 15 minutes per pound so that puts a 14# bird at around 3.5 hours to get to 160 breast before resting.
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    many methods that call for drying the turkey or chicken skin say to do it overnight
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    500: My turkey is brining as I type...my preferred method for sure. No problem drying it overnight at all. Place it on a rack of some sort so the bird doesn't sit in the puddle in the pan. Be sure to rinse the brine off very very well, inside and out, and/or a short soak in fresh water, then pat dry before placing in the fridge. Also, a warning for when you remove the bird from the fridge...additional liquid will accumulate in the cavity overnight. It will be pink in color. #1, Don't tilt the bird when removing of you may end up with an unwelcomed gross wet shirt :S #2, Be sure to dump that accumulated liquid down the sink before cooking. Also no real reason to feel you need to bring the bird to room temp. Happy Thanksgiving! Hope it is your best bird ever! :)
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    I'd forgo the room temp thing. That's more for beef than poultry.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. Never dried one out that long before. Looking for the crispy skin I didn't get last year. Got the taste, tenderness, and smoke part down but the skin wasn't there. Not trussing this year either, to get the all over crispy skin, from the pages of Amazing Ribs.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Don't be surprised if your bird is done early.