Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Max turkey size??

Options
rpurkey
rpurkey Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a large BGE and have only done one turkey.

I have forgotten 'how big is too big' for the bird to stand up in the dome.

Any input on what size I need to make sure I do not exceed is appreciated!

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    i have done up to 24# MM style (horizontal). ..i don't know about on a turkey stand. ...
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    If you are going vertical you should be able to put whatever size bird you have in there.

I use a plate setter and don't use the grill grate. On the plate setter upside down put a roasting pan and your vertical bird on that. Should hold whatever you have. Cook like you normally would. Should come out great!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    A turkey is longer than it is thick..thinking from a horizontal point of view..I have done 23# horizontal and it was a squeeze..I even had to remove the dome thermometer....on a vertical roaster it would certainly have never fit..don't be misled by the statement..whatever size you have will fit...do a dry / cold egg test fit before lighting, at least that will allow you to alter your plans if need be...if you had of used the "search" feature you would have found MANY posts about this...