Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newuser -- Trouble with Tempature

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cant seem to cook well on the egg. I had been using a Webber Gas grill.[p]However, am I supposed to allow the coals to get white or glowing or do I cook while charcoal is flaming??? My tempature rises to 700 degrees but once lid is down and ALL DAMPERS up and down are open the temp drops to 300 to 400. I am having problems searing, etc. Do I open the lid again to get the heat to rise?? Also, my ashes are cleaned out after every cooking. Thanks!!

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    OrangeBeachReb,
    Here is a link to a good starting point. Be sure to check out the entire site.

[ul][li]TNW[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Dr_Redwine
    Options
    OrangeBeachReb,
    Thirdeye is right. The Whiz's site should be saved to your list of favorites for quick reference on all things Egg. Another good source is the Wise One's Recipes on the main Big Green Egg page. He has some great info on how to start your fire for both high temp and low temp cooks. [p]Hang tough.
    DrR

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    OrangeBeachReb,
    If you are having trouble searing, it is because you are closing the vents before you sear. You can either cook the steaks with the lid up or down, but leave the vents open. Once you are done searing, then you can close the Egg up. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I just read your post again, never mind about closing the vents. I don't understand except that maybe you don't have good airflow THROUGH the egg and therefore the coals can burn hot with the lid open? But if the lid is open how do you know the temp is 700? I'm confused. Bottom line on any problems getting to a hot temperature is either you don't have enough charcoal or you don't have enough air getting through the fire.[p]TNW
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz, I think you got it that time!

• Basselope
    Options
    OrangeBeachReb,
    >>However, am I supposed to allow the coals to get white or glowing or do I cook while charcoal is flaming???<<[p]Here is the root of the problem. When using lump charcoal it is not necessary to get the entire surface of the charcoal whits like it is when using brickettes.[p]Assuming that you have everything lined up, and clean you should be able to reach 700 degrees in oh say 15 minutes after starting the lump. If you are trying to sear, the vent should be wide open at the bottom, and NO dasiy wheel on the top. (The daisy will restrict the air flow just enough to prevent really high temps.) If you are trying to control temps at lower temp then you use the daisy.

• thirdeye,[p]Thank you for all of your posts. I will read the links. However, to be more specific. I cooked Trout fillets (with skin on one side) and catfish. The grate was oiled, my charcoal preheated from flame to glowing and I put the lid down. When I put it down it registered (after a few minutes) about 700 degrees. I then went inside and after abotu 10 minutes it went down to 400 degrees or so. [p]Wonderful smokey flavor, but the fish was white with no "char" on them like I like and like I can get on the gas grill. Obviously I am not timing some things right because all of you seem so very bright and so passionate about the egg. I feel I have about 10% more charcoal than they recommend. However, my fish came out (like many of my steaks) "baked" and not seared and grilled. Help.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    OrangeBeachReb,[p]How much lump is the "amount they recommend"? You may be using too little.

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery