Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Had the new neighbors over last weekend.

Hic
Hic Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got a large back in October @ the EggtoberFest and have really enjoyed cooking on it. Wife and I invited the new neighbors over and we cooked for the them. Cara (my wife) received the recipe she had been waiting for from Marilyn Sessions - Flank Steak Marinade Big Green Egg Eggtogerfest 2010 2nd Place People Choice Award Winner. It came out perfect and everyone loved it and the ABT dip.
P1020133.jpg

P1020132.jpg

Next time I will try and remember to take more pictures.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

Comments

•  
    That is a nicely done Flank Steak.

GG
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    wow - great lookin cook, keep the photos and post comin - what is the recipe for the dip that looks great! :)
  • Hic
    I just used this and threw some shreded cheese on top. Really easy!
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=1158

BTW - thanks Marilyn for emailing the recipe!

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• So nice of you to invite the new neighbors over. Flank steak is great on the egg and I'm sure they loved it. Dip looks awesome. Next time take more pics and ignore the comments from your guests - they will get used to it especially after they realize how good egged food is.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Mouth watering. Can you pass along that flank steak marinade recipe? and the cooking temps and times? I'm planning to give it a run this evening. B)
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Can you share your two recipes, or direct me to them?
    Thanks
  • Looks delicious Keith! :)

Bet your neighbors will soon own an egg.
  • Hic
    Sorry Just got back online after a trip to the Egg Dr's :) and work. Here is a copy and paste from Marilyns email;
    Flank Steak Marinade
    Big Green Egg Eggtogerfest 2010
    2nd Place People Choice Award Winner

1/3 C Soy Sauce
    ¼ C Oil
    3 T. Dry Sherry
    2 T Honey
    1 Clove garlic
    ¼ C Chopped Onion
    1 ½ t Ginger

1 ½ pounds of flank steak

Mix above ingredients together and marinate overnight in the refrigerator or at room temperature for 4 hours (a large zip lock bag works great for this!)

Grill over high heat (500+) about 4 minutes each side. After taking off of the grill let the flank steak “sit” for approx 15 minutes for the juices to rest then slice diagonally against the grain for tender, juicy meat. Goes great with rice for dinner with a salad or with sliced French bread as an appetizer. Serve hot or cold. Recipe can be doubled, tripled – in fact when we make it I often multiply it by 7 or 8 as it is so popular and we cook 12# + at a time.

2 keys to getting it just right (in my opinion) is to use lump charcoal and once you sear it on one side, take it off of the grill and “dip” it in the marinate again before searing the other side. This slows the cooking process of the inside to ensure a nice rare/med rare while still getting the char on the outside. The dip thing is a little messy at first until you get in “the groove” then you can dip and flip without mess . You can also add a piece of soaked fruit wood (apple, cherry, pear, plum etc) to the coals if you like.

Cheers!

Marilyn

Atlanta NOTP suburbia.