Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison Ham

Options
singram
singram Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was given a venison ham and am looking for cooking suggestions. I am considering cooking it with a pork butt, putting th butt on the raised grid so the pork fat bastes the venison. Is there enough fat in a venison ham to do a low and slow? If so do I cook it to 200 or do I want to pull it off at a lower temp and slice it? Also, should I brine it first and if so any suggested recipes?[p]Thanks,[p]Steve

Comments

• Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Options
    singram,[p]I have two methods in my file. The first says: [p]"Venison is like lamb in that there is not much fat. I am not so certain low and slow is best for this cut. With leg of lamb I cook at 350º or so for an internal in the low 120's, sort covered rest, and serve."
    ===================================== [p]The second says: [p]"A truly wonderfully moist Venison Roast is easy." [p]Venison Roast
    1. Sear all sides of Venison Roast in hot oil in a frying pan until lightly browed all around the outside as best as possible.
    2. Place roast into baking dish or roaster pan with some quartered onions, 2 or 3 depending upon the size of the roast.
    3. Place on cover and place in a 250 degree oven for about 3 - 5 hours. That's it. So simple.
    *note* Many folks like to put in some carrots and potatoes during the last hour or so of a pot roast type meal. This does not work here well as to keep the meat moist, the temperature is too low to properly cook these vegetables. Turning up the heat to cook the vegetables will dry out the roast. It is best to cook them separately for this meal.
    This will make for as good a meal as there is. The slow baking with low heat will prevent your Venison Roast from becoming dry which is the biggest complaint of Venison Roasts. [p]Remember to cook Wild Game Meats at no more than 250 degrees
    ======================================= [p]If I remember correct I cooked my last one at 350 deg using the following rules: [p]Approximate Cooking Time:
    3-4 lbs. meat cook at 325 degrees F. for 2 1/2 - 3 hrs.
    5-7 lbs. meat cook at 350 degrees F. for 3 - 4 hrs.
    I pulled when the internal temp was 120 - 125deg. I smoked with hickory. Cant remember which rub was used... but the roast came off juicy (as juicy as lean deer can be) and tasted wonderfull.

I decided my next venison roast would be injected, but havent done one in awhile. [p]Hope this helps!
    Boccie[p]