Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ceramic Chicken and Turkey Bases

Options
PattyO
PattyO Posts: 883
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I received ceramic chicken and turkey bases as a gift. They are ceramic "beer cans" for beer butt chicken and turkey. Now that I am not "committed" to using beer, what would you suggest I use to fill these bases? Any other suggestions. I may look for a Li'l Butterball as my inaugural cook on one.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Saki is great for an oriental flavor with some soy etc.
  • Di
    Di Posts: 395
    Options
    I've used regular coke (not diet) with success.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Patti, I think anything you want. The beer does not impart flavor, in my opinion. I've used h2o with lemon or orange halves and seasonings. I've used liquid marinades, ect.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I agree. It is very overrated IMO. The can does make for a stable base for doing a verticle bird, otherwise laying it on the grid indirect or raised direct is just as good.
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    I tried the whole beer can chicken (and turkey stand) thing for years, before BGE, and frankly, hhhhmmmmmmm, they are WAY more trouble than worth. As much work as they are, not sure worth it. The egg (and it's moisture retaining capability) off set any benefit these things might add.

Personally, I would take them to my dealer and trade for a few bags of lump, or some sauce. But, just one newby's opinion :).

Kind regards and Happy Holidays,
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    I don't find the stands to be any trouble - in fact, I find it to be a pretty convenient way to cook the bird. But I don't think they really impart any additional moisture or flavor, and I believe the Naked Whiz has done some tests documenting that.
    New Orleans LA
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    I really like using the ceramic chicken sitter, best way to cook a whole bird if you ask me.

I couple of tips for chicken-

-Use Italian dressing inside the sitter (40% full).

-Mix Italian seasoning with butter and apply to the outside of the bird.

-Plug the neck of the bird with a quarter lemon wedge to keep the flavor inside.

-I place the chicken sitter in a regular size pie pan and cook direct at 325-350. Pull when I get a 160 temp in the thigh.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA