Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Mini Hinge - PICS and Price

Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Several folks have asked for pics as well as the price of the new Mini hinge/band assembly. A month or two ago, Bruce quoted me a price of $59.95. I would imagine that is still accurate. Here are a few photos for your viewing enjoyment. FINALLY - you can open and close with one hand and the handle doesn't flop around!

I love this thing!!! :)

5114686277_9ec278bc7a_b.jpg

5114685931_41d92c3d9d_b.jpg

5114685527_277e7c8c95_b.jpg

5115286452_bd74510582_b.jpg

5115286102_a496075b58_b.jpg

5114684151_008b935f7d_b.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,787
    How is yours for lateral movement?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Carolina Q
    I had to go look since I hadn't noticed any. It does jiggle a bit, but not much. Besides, I just lift and lower the dome... hardly ever try to move it sideways. :) Better than the original, that's for sure. FWIW, I can move my large laterally too.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Sundazes
    Sundazes Posts: 307
    Mine only has the hinge on one side. I got it this summer from the mothership. Am I missing something? Mine also has a lot of lateral movement.
  • Carolina Q
    I assume you mean the original design with a single hinge in the back and the scissors-like prop an the left. Like this...

Mini-Egg-Open.jpg

BGE came out with the new design some months ago (not sure exactly when). I think they usually try to sell off all the old stock before making the new design available. I got mine as a replacement when the original broke.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Sundazes
    Sundazes Posts: 307
    No, it is the new hinge, but only one on the side. I had the old scissor type and bought the new one. Has the new handle as well.
    So my question is, SHOULD I have new silver one on each side?
  • Carolina Q
    I would certainly assume so. Out of the box, my new kit included two bands, the handle, nuts and bolts plus all the plated parts shown in my pics. I got mine from Tucker.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• My mini came with only 1 side bracket as well. Weird. Does play a bit from left to right. I contacted Bruce from BGE and he said this is normal. I'll shoot him an email about the singe/double bracket. J.
  • Carolina Q
    LOL. Bruce is gonna LOVE me!!! :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    HOw did you get TWO hinges???????
  • Carolina Q
    I ordered the new hinge kit.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I bought & paid for an upgraded hinge this summer...it flat-out didn't work. Something was screwy about the assembly, the hinge part on the back kept shifting, which allowed the dome to get farther and farther out of alignment with each opening. After documenting my problems photographically, HQ sent me a new one (I posted about this issue a little while back). The second one worked properly, though it still allows the dome to shimmy to the back a tiny bit unless you're careful when closing it.

It seems that they've decided to add two hinge arms to the thing to eliminate the shimmy. Sure wish I had a second stabilizing arm.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Interesting, all new ones that I have seen only have one hinge. Looks like we call tomorrow and get the upgraded, upgraded dual hinge kit.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Well Michael look what you started. :woohoo: :lol: Tim
  • Carolina Q
    Ya think? I have already warned Bruce!! Seriously.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Well, when pay good money for something that you plan on using a lot you want it to work properly. If there were issues and they resolved them by changing the product the change should be universal. Don't just fix a few and allow others to use a faulty grill. Not sure why you see a problem with this.
  • Carolina Q
    Smokin' not stirred wrote:
    Well, when pay good money for something that you plan on using a lot you want it to work properly. If there were issues and they resolved them by changing the product the change should be universal. Don't just fix a few and allow others to use a faulty grill. Not sure why you see a problem with this.

Why I see a problem with what? Maybe they fixed a problem. Maybe there IS no problem. Maybe someone at the factory accidently put two brackets in my box of parts and EVERY other kit had only one. I have no idea. All I know is, I got what I got and I like it. Some folks wanted to see pics so I posted them.

And yes, I did let Bruce know that he may be hearing from some folks. Not sure why you see a problem with THAT.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Easy, I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you. I come here for food stuff. I shot an email BGE to check on a problem a few people had. If it's a mistake fine, but if it's a fix then it should be fixed. No one is sure what the deal is that's why I sent an email. If your buddies with Bruce then what was his response?
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Wow Michael, you were busy today!! :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Carolina Q
    You just think so because I actually posted pics. :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    bingo baby!! :whistle::)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Carolina Q
    :P

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• What ticks me off is that as a dealer for 16 years, and a good volume one at that, I only learn of new developments on this forum.
    Don't get mad if your dealer is ignorant about new products or changes, because the mothership does not keep us in the loop.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Dan,

I think the distributers are more so on the 'blame' end of things. I'll bet you donuts to dollars that they, the distributers, are in full knowledge of any changes/improvements and YOU are their responsibility. No?

How have you been, by the way? Just over a year and we'll be puffin stogies together again. ;)
  • I realize this is an older post but can anyone share results? Should this ring, in fact, come with two side brackets? I just purchased one with a single and the lid travels east/west when I close it.

Thanks!
    Overland Park, KS
    At David's Kitchen: Mini BGE, Traeger Lil' Texas Elite, Weber Smokey Joe, Weber Jumbo Joe, Weber Kettle 22", Weber 26", Weber Performer 22", Mini WSM (Mod), WSM 14", WSM 22", Weber Q 1000, Lodge Sportsman, Lodge Camp Dutch Ovens (2, 6, 10 qt).

Member KCBS, NBBQ
  • Carolina Q
    edited January 2015
    When they first came out with the hinge redesign, there was only one hinge. They soon realized their mistake and added a second. This was about FOUR YEARS ago!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    You bought the older version. The original post above shows the upgrade.
    You can get by with the one you have but upgrade at some point imo.
    Seattle, WA
  • Dareber
    Dareber Posts: 9
    edited January 2015
    Thanks @Carolina Q And @SkinnyV‌. I just got my first BGE, a mini (new), obviously it's been sitting around fir a while. I'll get the upgrade.
    Overland Park, KS
    At David's Kitchen: Mini BGE, Traeger Lil' Texas Elite, Weber Smokey Joe, Weber Jumbo Joe, Weber Kettle 22", Weber 26", Weber Performer 22", Mini WSM (Mod), WSM 14", WSM 22", Weber Q 1000, Lodge Sportsman, Lodge Camp Dutch Ovens (2, 6, 10 qt).

Member KCBS, NBBQ
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Carolina q did you sell it yet?
  • Carolina Q
    Nope. Probably gonna wait til spring.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,190
    Mini love from Carolina Q?!!! ;)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota