Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here

"Faulty" Temperature Probe

Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Very much impressed with my new Greenegg cooker and was cooking two Beer Can Chickens yesterday which is my third cook! After removing my electric fire starter, i placed the two chickens on the place setter, closed the lid and began closing the vents to adjust my temperature to 350 degrees. After a few minutes i realized the gauge was reading around 100 degrees?? Being new to the Egg, i allowed it a few more minutes and then i could hear a sizzling noise from inside the Egg?? I opened the lid to find my two chickens already browned ?? I had an electronic probe handy and measured the grill temperature to be above 500 degrees! Guessing my NEW egg had a defective temperature gauge, i just used the electronic probe placed at the grill heigth to complete the "beer can chicken". As the cook continued i did notice the gauge increased slowly, but never got up past 150 degrees??
This morning is was awakened with the temperature gauge to deal with--when it hit me !! It was the first time i considered that the Egg's temperature probe sticks inside the unit about two inches and that what happened was the probe had been sticking inside the chicken monitoring meat temperature-- NOT dome temperature! As i said, this is only my third cook and i have lots to learn !!
Charlie Tuna

Comments