Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Faulty" Temperature Probe

Options
Charlie tuna
Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Very much impressed with my new Greenegg cooker and was cooking two Beer Can Chickens yesterday which is my third cook! After removing my electric fire starter, i placed the two chickens on the place setter, closed the lid and began closing the vents to adjust my temperature to 350 degrees. After a few minutes i realized the gauge was reading around 100 degrees?? Being new to the Egg, i allowed it a few more minutes and then i could hear a sizzling noise from inside the Egg?? I opened the lid to find my two chickens already browned ?? I had an electronic probe handy and measured the grill temperature to be above 500 degrees! Guessing my NEW egg had a defective temperature gauge, i just used the electronic probe placed at the grill heigth to complete the "beer can chicken". As the cook continued i did notice the gauge increased slowly, but never got up past 150 degrees??
This morning is was awakened with the temperature gauge to deal with--when it hit me !! It was the first time i considered that the Egg's temperature probe sticks inside the unit about two inches and that what happened was the probe had been sticking inside the chicken monitoring meat temperature-- NOT dome temperature! As i said, this is only my third cook and i have lots to learn !!
Charlie Tuna

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Sorry Charlie......sorry really I am...had to say it :woohoo:

When I have something big that gets up there in the dome it pays to close it and then check for a hole in what your cooking....or plan ahead and have your meat arranged to avoid the probe.

Happy Egging!

H
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Here is a solution that Vidalia1 came up with.

P5020109.jpg

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    sorry for your first problem - but I always tell people to take that stupid spring clip on the inside and throw it away! Gravity is going to keep the thermometer in place. Then if you had done that yesterday you would have seen the thermometer move thus tipping you off there was a problem. Secondly when I'm sure there may be a problem (like doing a 24# turkey in my large) I merely remove the thermometer, close the lid and then carefully re-insert it - again you would know by feel if there was a problem.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Thanks for the tips -- i agree to take the clip off the probe -- i actually attempted to do that while i was cooking, figuring i could insert the electronic probe in the hole ? But it was too hot! I will remove the retaining clip before my next cook. The chicken was great, but i'm going to a lower temperature next time--low and slow ! Charlie
  • RRP
    Options
    Besides all that did you check the calibration of your thermometer? Those can be way off in spite of being brand new!
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Ron, check your mail. I tried again. If you didn't get it again, try and send me one. I want to be able to update you on what we talked about.(Sorry for the highjack)
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Another reason to do spatchcock chickens. :cheer:
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    I use a wine cork spacer just like FGG... You may have to try several bottles of wine to get one that looks just right! ;)
  • RRP
    Options
    still nothing came through but I tried to send you one along with my email address. Let's see if that comes through the eye of the needle!
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Options
    Suggestion:
    I undertand that you put the chickens directly on the plate setter even before you had a stabilized temp.

Turn plate setter legs up and put the grill on top of the up turned legs. Cook the food on the grill, not plate setter. Do this after you have established the charcoal to the temperature you desire. Let it stabilize for 20 minutes without changing and temp will remain at this for duration of cook. Only then add food.

Above is typical way to cook indirect which is normal way to slow cook.

Don't time your cook, use food temp as to if it is done or not.

I think you will have much better cooks if you follow these suggestions