Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

??? about Spatchcock

Jai-BoJai-Bo Posts: 566
edited 7:06PM in EggHead Forum
I haven't done a spatchcock chicken yet, but was wondering if anyone has ever tried to do a turkey the same way??? Thanks fer any/all input! ;)
Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!

Comments

• sharhammsharhamm Posts: 255
    There's lot of info under the search function on spatchcocked turkey. I see that you are new so probably have found that function yet. If you look near the top of the forum you will see Home, Forums, Cookbook, etc.. If you click on Forums it will give you some more choices are where you can surf this website. One of them is Search. Click on it and type in what you are looking for. It took me a while to find it, but there is a wealth of information in there. ;)
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 5,836
    A search of "spatchcock turkey" both words option yields:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=861055

Doesn't seem to be done too often, I suppose because the large area that a big bird might need.
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    I've done it. It works just fine.

TurkeyDone.Small.jpg
  • Jai-BoJai-Bo Posts: 566
    Thanks fer all the info.... Fidel, that bird looks FANTASTIC!!!! I wanna do a turkey sooooo bad so in the next week, it'll be done! :woohoo: :whistle: :woohoo:
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 18,644
    This past weekend a spatchcocked turkey at 325 for 1 1/2 hours. High in dome - direct. IT was
    VERY EASY.... Did with coffee rub.....
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• How many lbs. was the turkey? I'll be trying this soon...
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 18,644
    small turkey - 10.8 lbs.....
    norm size is 12/13 for me... like to stay under the 14 lbs...
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now).