Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

New to Salmon

WaterscapesWaterscapes Posts: 97
edited 8:08AM in EggHead Forum
What should the internal temp of salmon reach before I take it off?

Comments

• 137 degrees.
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    Egged Salmon is Awesome. One of my favorites for sure. Enjoy!
  • Little ChefLittle Chef Posts: 4,725
    Rainman, Many people prefer their salmon medium, some even medium rare. Do you want it cooked completely through? Or might you like it a bit pink in the middle? I would go to 125*, 130 tops. It should feel firm when pressed with a finger, but not hard. (Maybe 3-4 minutes a side on a good hot fire.)
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    I pull mine at 118. I like it rare.
  • RRPRRP Posts: 18,686
    if you're new to salmon then maybe you don't know the trick of removing the mud vein down the side lengthwise on the skin side. It resembles a racing strip - a dark one. If you take a sharp knife you can remove it and that makes all the difference in the world in the taste of your cooked salmon. Note the notch in the thickest part where I cut the dark out.
    IMG_0027.jpg
    L, M, S, Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • ClamClam Posts: 117
    I don't go by temp. but flakiness. I stick a fork or small knife in the thickest part and see how it comes apart and looks.

If anything I tend to pull too soon, as I am cautious to not overcook and deal with dryness. It takes practice.
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC09772a.jpg

The USDA recommended finish temperature for fish is 145°.

I'm with M B Rich on this on this one.....I watch for the albumen to rise to the surface, which is about 130° internal. Then I temp it every 3 or 4 minutes trying to pull it just below 140°, counting on it to rise 5 to 7 degrees while resting.

I do cheat the finish on my hot smoked salmon, but just by a few degrees. It has been cured and I'm okay with that logic.

DSC09866a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery