Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to Salmon

Options
Waterscapes
Waterscapes Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What should the internal temp of salmon reach before I take it off?

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Egged Salmon is Awesome. One of my favorites for sure. Enjoy!
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Rainman, Many people prefer their salmon medium, some even medium rare. Do you want it cooked completely through? Or might you like it a bit pink in the middle? I would go to 125*, 130 tops. It should feel firm when pressed with a finger, but not hard. (Maybe 3-4 minutes a side on a good hot fire.)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I pull mine at 118. I like it rare.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    if you're new to salmon then maybe you don't know the trick of removing the mud vein down the side lengthwise on the skin side. It resembles a racing strip - a dark one. If you take a sharp knife you can remove it and that makes all the difference in the world in the taste of your cooked salmon. Note the notch in the thickest part where I cut the dark out.
    IMG_0027.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Clam
    Clam Posts: 117
    Options
    I don't go by temp. but flakiness. I stick a fork or small knife in the thickest part and see how it comes apart and looks.

If anything I tend to pull too soon, as I am cautious to not overcook and deal with dryness. It takes practice.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC09772a.jpg

The USDA recommended finish temperature for fish is 145°.

I'm with M B Rich on this on this one.....I watch for the albumen to rise to the surface, which is about 130° internal. Then I temp it every 3 or 4 minutes trying to pull it just below 140°, counting on it to rise 5 to 7 degrees while resting.

I do cheat the finish on my hot smoked salmon, but just by a few degrees. It has been cured and I'm okay with that logic.

DSC09866a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery