Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Rib Roast

Lab RatLab Rat Posts: 147
edited 3:40PM in EggHead Forum
Here's a belated posting of the rib roast I cooked for Christmas.

Christmas2008031.jpg

I thought the steam rising out of the sliced meat looks pretty cool! B)

I rubbed with EVOO and sprinkled with Canadian Steak Seasoning. Roasted at about 375 till internal was 145 (10 degrees higher than I wanted!) :ohmy: Although the ends were well done (but still very tender), the center of the roast was nice and pink.

I finally got the new computer, camera and Photo Bucket working. Hope to be posting more and more often.

John

Comments

• FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    That is a great picture (and a great knife too)
  • Looks very good.The steam looks good
  • Lab RatLab Rat Posts: 147
    Agreed on the knife.

I've got three Shuns now, the Santuko (pictured), the 8" Chef's knife, which I received as a gift about 4 hours after the picture was taken (and is quickly becoming my favorite) and the tomato knife.

I'm afraid I've started on another obsession!
    Thanks, Mark!
  • Big'unBig'un Posts: 5,909
    Great pic. I do love the steam rising in the pic. The roast looks fantastic. Nice job!
  • CecilCecil Posts: 771
    Great looking meat, hey Rat, what is that yellow thing behind the meat?

Walt
    My tie?
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Great picture, I like the steam too. Hope to more pictures of your cooks.

Too bad with the late posting and all. You missed my Holiday Prime Rib Contest, and you would have been right in the running. There were 14 entries and here are the 3 finalists....chubby was the winner. There is always next year.

PrimeRipphotocontestFinalistlist.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
    Gotcha, my sad attempt at (weak) humor.

Walt
    Thanks, Thirdeye,

I'm still not sure of the difference between a "Prime Rib" and a "Rib Roast". This was a "Whole Boneless Rib Eye". It was about 13 lbs before I trimmed off the lip.

Here's how it looked before it went on the Egg:

Christmas2008009.jpg

It was about 16" long before it cooked. And here's the best part: $3.69 a pound!

I had purchased one of these before Thanksgiving and cut it into 2" slices and grilled as steaks - excellent!

John
    I was going to respond back with a "Was that my tie, or was I just happy to be cutting meat", but didn't know if you were joking or you really saw something!
    Good call! :laugh:

Walt