Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

T-Bones Tonight ... Question

RhumAndJerkRhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited 7:16PM in EggHead Forum
When my son and I were shopping at the West Side Market early Saturday morning, I was passing the one stand that specializes in premium beef at a regular price. I inquired about which was the best cut of the day. The butcher replied, “Take a look at these T-Bones!” He was actually excited. I agreed that the beef was indeed beautiful, however they were cut too thin. He told me to come back in ten minutes and he would have what I wanted.[p]My son and I continued our shopping by picking up some Smoked Slovian Sausage and some Portuguese Lingusia Sausage. We also purchased another pound of premium Hungarian Paprika for six dollars.[p]When we got back to beef stand, the butcher proudly displayed two one and a half inch thick T-Bones. They were so nice that I almost tasted one right then and there.[p]And now the question … I do not normally buy T-Bones and I am still learning how to use Mr. Big, how should I properly cook these American Beauties (sorry, couldn’t resist). [p]I will complete the meal with some fresh sweet corn direct from Southern Florida and probably some fresh green beans.[p]Is it dinnertime yet?
RhumAndJerk[p]

·

Comments

• Dr. ChickenDr. Chicken Posts: 620
    RhumAndJerk,
    You're gona get a lot of ideas! Fire up "biggy" to about 550 degrees, put some water soaked pecan chunks or white oak chunks on the coals. Let it smoke just a little, Throw them nice t-bones on and sear 'em on each side for 3 minutes turning once, close the dome and the bottom almost totally and let them sit fer 4 to 5 minutes. (6 if you like med well) Pull 'em off add a little Montreal Steak Seasoning & garlic butter. Presto! You've got a meal fit for a King! But,,,,don't go inviting the "King Of Coals"! You won't have nothin' left![p]
    Dr. Chiken

·
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,341
    RhumAndJerk,
    Dem are some fine pieces o meat, and IMO should be done with minimal seasonings. Cover with cracked tellicherry pepper, wrap in plastic wrap, and put a 2 hour freeze on em. Smoke at 180-200 for 30-40 minutes with mesquite chunks (or your preferred smoke). Remove thawed/smoked steaks, and bring humpty to turbo temps past 750. 2 minutes a side, rotating 90 degrees after 1 minute. Dwell to your preference of doneness.[p]Like Dr. C says, lots of ways to do it. I like simple on really nice meat.[p]Happy tenderness.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    ·
  • Dr. Chicken,
    You mean a meezley quarter inch difference between my T-Bones and RAJ's make you call mine "skinny" and not his? Well,, I'm going up a quarter inch next time then! I do think the longer cook is best for these cuts. Thick filets, maybe a quick hot job,, but T-Bones do good with 250-300 dome temp for a half hour. I keep the bottom vent open and close the daisy down about half,, or as much as needed to keep the temp up to that range. And I don't time them. I just keep poking them with the spatchula until they feel "right". Let's see some pics of them babys.

·
    King-O-Coals,
    Whoops! I jist knew one of dese days I wuz gona do dat! I wuz so intent on givin' you trouble, I forgots what i wuz doing! (Is dat excuse 'nough?) But, youse should knows better!!![p]
    Dr. Chicken

·
  • RhumAndJerkRhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Nature Boy,
    I am not sure that I will have time to run through that much, but it does sound good.[p]Tellicherry is corn of choice in the grinder so I am in on that with some kosher salt. I think that I will go with Chef Bachary’s Chelsea Blend on the other. Both are not overpowering like Char Crust can be but compliment the meat nicely.[p]I am also going to stick to Dr. C’s suggestion of the 550 with smoke. On a whim I think the wood choice will be Lil’ Devil Cherry Smoking Pellets.[p]Go Tribe!
    RhumAndJerk

·
    Dr. Chicken,
    Cool. See above…
    R&J

·
  • RhumAndJerk,
    can you tell me what the maximum temperature on a big green egg is. i want to get it very hot for steaks. thanks jule peek

·
    jule peek,
    First of all, Welcome and have fun.[p]That is a matter of some discussion. You could force air and get the temperatures up into the middle 1000 without difficulty. [p]The question would be then ”For what purpose?” The majority of the cooking can be accomplished in the 200 to 800 degree range. I have cooked steaks at a very high temperature, 900 plus, but the end results were no less desirable than those cooked at 600-700 range. If the question is stemming from the decision to buy a BGE or a High End (and costly) gas grill, the BGE has the advantage due to the flavor imparted by the natural lump Charcoal.[p]Let us know if you have any other questions and we will help if we can.

Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

·
    RhumAndJerk,
    I did! I did! Jist make sure they are jist at med rare to rare! Ya all don't want ta kill da taste of dat wonderful beef![p]Dr. Chicken

·
  • Elder WardElder Ward Posts: 330
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Flash burn them Puppies 2 min to the side shut everything down for 5 more minutes. burp egg. remove meat lock the doors. [p]Elder Ward

·