Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

T-Bones Tonight ... Question

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When my son and I were shopping at the West Side Market early Saturday morning, I was passing the one stand that specializes in premium beef at a regular price. I inquired about which was the best cut of the day. The butcher replied, “Take a look at these T-Bones!” He was actually excited. I agreed that the beef was indeed beautiful, however they were cut too thin. He told me to come back in ten minutes and he would have what I wanted.[p]My son and I continued our shopping by picking up some Smoked Slovian Sausage and some Portuguese Lingusia Sausage. We also purchased another pound of premium Hungarian Paprika for six dollars.[p]When we got back to beef stand, the butcher proudly displayed two one and a half inch thick T-Bones. They were so nice that I almost tasted one right then and there.[p]And now the question … I do not normally buy T-Bones and I am still learning how to use Mr. Big, how should I properly cook these American Beauties (sorry, couldn’t resist). [p]I will complete the meal with some fresh sweet corn direct from Southern Florida and probably some fresh green beans.[p]Is it dinnertime yet?
RhumAndJerk[p]

Comments

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    You're gona get a lot of ideas! Fire up "biggy" to about 550 degrees, put some water soaked pecan chunks or white oak chunks on the coals. Let it smoke just a little, Throw them nice t-bones on and sear 'em on each side for 3 minutes turning once, close the dome and the bottom almost totally and let them sit fer 4 to 5 minutes. (6 if you like med well) Pull 'em off add a little Montreal Steak Seasoning & garlic butter. Presto! You've got a meal fit for a King! But,,,,don't go inviting the "King Of Coals"! You won't have nothin' left![p]
    Dr. Chiken

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Dem are some fine pieces o meat, and IMO should be done with minimal seasonings. Cover with cracked tellicherry pepper, wrap in plastic wrap, and put a 2 hour freeze on em. Smoke at 180-200 for 30-40 minutes with mesquite chunks (or your preferred smoke). Remove thawed/smoked steaks, and bring humpty to turbo temps past 750. 2 minutes a side, rotating 90 degrees after 1 minute. Dwell to your preference of doneness.[p]Like Dr. C says, lots of ways to do it. I like simple on really nice meat.[p]Happy tenderness.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • King-O-Coals
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,
    You mean a meezley quarter inch difference between my T-Bones and RAJ's make you call mine "skinny" and not his? Well,, I'm going up a quarter inch next time then! I do think the longer cook is best for these cuts. Thick filets, maybe a quick hot job,, but T-Bones do good with 250-300 dome temp for a half hour. I keep the bottom vent open and close the daisy down about half,, or as much as needed to keep the temp up to that range. And I don't time them. I just keep poking them with the spatchula until they feel "right". Let's see some pics of them babys.

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    Whoops! I jist knew one of dese days I wuz gona do dat! I wuz so intent on givin' you trouble, I forgots what i wuz doing! (Is dat excuse 'nough?) But, youse should knows better!!![p]
    Dr. Chicken

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I am not sure that I will have time to run through that much, but it does sound good.[p]Tellicherry is corn of choice in the grinder so I am in on that with some kosher salt. I think that I will go with Chef Bachary’s Chelsea Blend on the other. Both are not overpowering like Char Crust can be but compliment the meat nicely.[p]I am also going to stick to Dr. C’s suggestion of the 550 with smoke. On a whim I think the wood choice will be Lil’ Devil Cherry Smoking Pellets.[p]Go Tribe!
    RhumAndJerk

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,
    Cool. See above…
    R&J

• RhumAndJerk,
    can you tell me what the maximum temperature on a big green egg is. i want to get it very hot for steaks. thanks jule peek

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    jule peek,
    First of all, Welcome and have fun.[p]That is a matter of some discussion. You could force air and get the temperatures up into the middle 1000 without difficulty. [p]The question would be then ”For what purpose?” The majority of the cooking can be accomplished in the 200 to 800 degree range. I have cooked steaks at a very high temperature, 900 plus, but the end results were no less desirable than those cooked at 600-700 range. If the question is stemming from the decision to buy a BGE or a High End (and costly) gas grill, the BGE has the advantage due to the flavor imparted by the natural lump Charcoal.[p]Let us know if you have any other questions and we will help if we can.

Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    I did! I did! Jist make sure they are jist at med rare to rare! Ya all don't want ta kill da taste of dat wonderful beef![p]Dr. Chicken

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Flash burn them Puppies 2 min to the side shut everything down for 5 more minutes. burp egg. remove meat lock the doors. [p]Elder Ward