Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting ready for my new egg!!!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to pick up my first BGE(small) in a few days and trying to decide what first to cook on it?? Chicken, burgers, steak,chops?? Don't wanna go crazy right at first, but give me something that will make me glad I bought the thing. Thanks for any input!![p]dave

Comments

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    dgoat,
    I think an easy-to-manage but rewarding first cook is something like a pork tenderloin. Only one (or two if you have a small gathering) piece to work with, cooks fairly quickly (about 25-35 mins at 325 or so), you can get a bit of smoke flavour with wood chunks or chips (apple, pecan, cherry or hickory are all nice) and it is a 'classy' result.
    You can do them direct, no 'accessories' needed to pull off the cook. Just use a seasoning rub of your choice, cook to 140-155 internal temperature, slice and enjoy. That's my vote for a rewarding first cook: pork tenderloin.
    Qfan

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    Pork tenderloin's good. But for a "festive first" I'd go with filet mignon. A nice bottle of wine, a mess of asparagus, rice pilaf on the side...
    Ken

• Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Options
    dgoat,[p]I recommend doing Spatchcock chicken. Its easy to do, and turns out great. One of our favorite meals.
  • Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Boccie, Absolutly, the best idea yet....[p]Easy, fast and turns out a great product.........[p]Mop
    [/b]
  • dgoat,
    My vote to a neophyte would be the Spatchcock chicken. Everyone knows chicken in every form, once you see what the Egg does for the spatchcock on the you will have all the motivation to try all the recipes on the Forum.
    Easy and fabulous..nde

• dgoat,
    My vote to a neophyte would be the Spatchcock chicken. Everyone knows chicken in every form, once you see what the Egg does for the spatchcock on the you will have all the motivation to try all the recipes on the Forum.
    Easy and fabulous..nde