Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Burgers + Temp

BeerBQBeerBQ Posts: 113
edited 3:32AM in EggHead Forum
What temp do you cook your burgers at on the egg? 400-500?

Comments

• "Sparky""Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Yes,I do burgers at 400-425 :woohoo:

020-6.jpg
  • FlaMikeFlaMike Posts: 648
    These were done at 450°
    100_0995.jpg
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC05395JPGx.jpg

Cooking info - 4 methods that have worked for me. These are dome temps. I cook mine a little rare, The recommended internal temp is 160°.

1. 500°-600° direct - cook for 2 minutes, flip and shut vents for 15 or 20 minutes.

2. 300°-350° indirect - cook for 20 minutes, turn and cook until 150° which takes 10 to 15 minutes longer.

3. 350°-400° raised direct - cook about 10 minutes, turn and cook until 150°. If another 10 minutes goes by, turn one more time.

4. 250°-300° raised direct - cook about 45 minutes, no need to turn unless you really want to. Pull off at 150°

Lastly, this is a King-O-Coals 2-hour burger, a 60% burger and 30% sausage mix, cooked indirect at 200°, turned after an hour.

DSC04984b.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • TomM24TomM24 Posts: 1,364
    That sounds good a burger sausage mix. King O Coals never heard of it is that something you made or bought?
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    King O Coals never heard of it is that something you made or bought?

Heheee Neither, (I don't think he can be bought). King-O-Coals is a pioneer of ceramic cooking. I'm certain he's not the only one that mixes sausage into the beef, but he does cook them for 2 hours, so I tagged him with it. His recipe used Jimmy Dean (the stuff we make fatties with) the last ones I cooked I used Italian. You will be suprised by how much of the grease that renders out and how moist they are.

DSC04972b.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • cool idea to press the onion in. looks tasty!
  • BeerBQBeerBQ Posts: 113
    Thanks for the replies....cooked at 425. Still having trouble maintaining temps...still fluctuate a bit. Burgers turned out good, but boy did I have some serious flareups. I had to shut the bottom vent completely and close the lid for a bit to tone down the fire. I probably should of had a spritz bottle ready...I'll know next time. Anyone else experience serious flare-ups with burgers? Anyone use indirect to cook burgers?