Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

pork loin suggestions

smokesmoke Posts: 30
edited 4:04AM in EggHead Forum
Any suggestions for cooking a pork loin tonite. this will be my 1st loin on the BGE
·

Comments

• Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,861
    Here is one I like. Try to pull around 140F as it will creep up 5-8 degrees and may become too tuff.

Pork, Loin, Stuffed, Richard Fl

BACONDODNE.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
    1 3-5 Lbs Pork Loin, Butterflied
    1/4 Lb Capicola, Thinly sliced
    1/3 Cup Cottage Cheese or Ricotta
    1 Pkg Spinach, Fresh
    1/3 Cup Mozzarella, Shredded
    1/4 Cup Pignole nuts, pine nuts
    3-4 Slices Bacon, Uncooked, cut in half
    1/3 Cup Mango Chutney
    EVOO
    Rub
    1 Tbs Garlic Powder
    1 Tbs Black Pepper, Fresh ground
    1 Tbs Favorite Pork Rub
    Butcher Twine
    Time & Temp Line:
    3:45 PM 250°F DOME 68°F
    4:20 PM 275°F DOME 88°F
    4:45 PM 300°F DOME 103°F
    5:30 PM 300°F DOME 140°F

Preparation:
    1 Take the pork loin and butterfly it. Take the spinach and sauté with EVOO until limp.
    2 Lay 4-5 lengths of butcher twine on a flat surface and coat the exterior of the loin with olive oil and a rub of your choice.

STUFFINGJSTUFFING.jpg

3 Layer: capicola, spinach, cottage cheese or ricotta, pignole nuts, shredded mozzarella & mango chutney.

ROLLED.jpg

4 Roll up and tie the twine, Place in a "V" rack with the open section up. Cover with bacon slices.

BACON.jpg

Cooking

4.jpg

1 Used large BGE set up indirect. 2-3 pieces apple or guava wood for smoke. Had earlier in the day cooked BB ribs @250°F so started the loin at 250°F and slowly brought it up to 300°F. Total cooking time 1 hour and 45 minutes. Let rest for 30 minutes Don't forget to remove the twine. Removed from BGE when internal temperature reached 140°F. Had a few chicken pieces so they went along for the ride. Pulled them 1 hour 15 minutes.

Servings: 6
    Preparation time: 15 minutes
    Cooking time: 1 hour and 45 minutes
    Ready in: 2 hours and 15 minutes

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2007/07/01

If I were going to be doing one from the start would get the BGE to 300-325F and the cooking time should be closer to 1- 1 1/2 hours for a loin this size.

07/15/07--Someone on the forum mentioned that Mr Toad started the stuffed loin many years ago. Thank you SIR!. He cut a loin into thirds horizontallly and I think I will try the sliced into thirds and pounded a bit next time.

2008/01/29 Richard Fl: Small BGE indirect @350F. Made a #4 Loin tonight, butterflyed like a jelly roll. , added 4 Tbs Bacon Bits and a couple of tablespoons of Zaater (MidEast spice blend) to the mix along with cottage cheese instead of ricotta. Nice change. store was out of capicola, so used sliced baked ham.

a lite
    ·
  • Chef CharlesChef Charles Posts: 838
    That sounds like a great recipe. I may have to try it when I attempt my first loin cook.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

·
  • Egg-N-TinoEgg-N-Tino Posts: 157
    Check out this link:
    http://nakedwhiz.com/porkloin1.htm

The options are limitless to what you can do with a pork loin.

Good luck,
    ·
  • TractorTractor Posts: 283
    Thanks Richard, I'm gonna make this over the weekend!
    ·
  • BeliBeli Posts: 10,751
    Richard one question...Do you place the inside thermometer in the filling or in the pork meat. TKS
    ·
  • that sounds perfect.

Thanks all for the help
    ·