Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pork loin suggestions

Options
smoke
smoke Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any suggestions for cooking a pork loin tonite. this will be my 1st loin on the BGE

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is one I like. Try to pull around 140F as it will creep up 5-8 degrees and may become too tuff.

Pork, Loin, Stuffed, Richard Fl

BACONDODNE.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
    1 3-5 Lbs Pork Loin, Butterflied
    1/4 Lb Capicola, Thinly sliced
    1/3 Cup Cottage Cheese or Ricotta
    1 Pkg Spinach, Fresh
    1/3 Cup Mozzarella, Shredded
    1/4 Cup Pignole nuts, pine nuts
    3-4 Slices Bacon, Uncooked, cut in half
    1/3 Cup Mango Chutney
    EVOO
    Rub
    1 Tbs Garlic Powder
    1 Tbs Black Pepper, Fresh ground
    1 Tbs Favorite Pork Rub
    Butcher Twine
    Time & Temp Line:
    3:45 PM 250°F DOME 68°F
    4:20 PM 275°F DOME 88°F
    4:45 PM 300°F DOME 103°F
    5:30 PM 300°F DOME 140°F

Preparation:
    1 Take the pork loin and butterfly it. Take the spinach and sauté with EVOO until limp.
    2 Lay 4-5 lengths of butcher twine on a flat surface and coat the exterior of the loin with olive oil and a rub of your choice.

STUFFINGJSTUFFING.jpg

3 Layer: capicola, spinach, cottage cheese or ricotta, pignole nuts, shredded mozzarella & mango chutney.

ROLLED.jpg

4 Roll up and tie the twine, Place in a "V" rack with the open section up. Cover with bacon slices.

BACON.jpg

Cooking

4.jpg

1 Used large BGE set up indirect. 2-3 pieces apple or guava wood for smoke. Had earlier in the day cooked BB ribs @250°F so started the loin at 250°F and slowly brought it up to 300°F. Total cooking time 1 hour and 45 minutes. Let rest for 30 minutes Don't forget to remove the twine. Removed from BGE when internal temperature reached 140°F. Had a few chicken pieces so they went along for the ride. Pulled them 1 hour 15 minutes.

Servings: 6
    Preparation time: 15 minutes
    Cooking time: 1 hour and 45 minutes
    Ready in: 2 hours and 15 minutes

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2007/07/01

If I were going to be doing one from the start would get the BGE to 300-325F and the cooking time should be closer to 1- 1 1/2 hours for a loin this size.

07/15/07--Someone on the forum mentioned that Mr Toad started the stuffed loin many years ago. Thank you SIR!. He cut a loin into thirds horizontallly and I think I will try the sliced into thirds and pounded a bit next time.

2008/01/29 Richard Fl: Small BGE indirect @350F. Made a #4 Loin tonight, butterflyed like a jelly roll. , added 4 Tbs Bacon Bits and a couple of tablespoons of Zaater (MidEast spice blend) to the mix along with cottage cheese instead of ricotta. Nice change. store was out of capicola, so used sliced baked ham.

a lite
  • Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    Options
    That sounds like a great recipe. I may have to try it when I attempt my first loin cook.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Egg-N-Tino
    Egg-N-Tino Posts: 157
    Options
    Check out this link:
    http://nakedwhiz.com/porkloin1.htm

The options are limitless to what you can do with a pork loin.

Good luck,
  • Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    Options
    Thanks Richard, I'm gonna make this over the weekend!
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Richard one question...Do you place the inside thermometer in the filling or in the pork meat. TKS
  • k dizzle my sizzle
    Options
    that sounds perfect.

Thanks all for the help