Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Italian Beef revisited...

Options
Large Marge
Large Marge Posts: 404
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I finally made the trek to Bobby G's in Alpharetta (link) and sampled their Italian Beef. Have to say its the best I've found down in Atlanta so far. Thanks (I can't remember who) for the suggestion! Their thin crust pizza is also excellent.

They have Gonnella french rolls there!! They have Gonnella french rolls there!! They also sell hot giardinera jars for $10.

Inspired, I bought a few bags of their rolls (they sell for $4 for a bag of 4) and thought I'd make another batch of homemade beef. I was about to get into my personal recipe when I happened to surf over to Gonnella's web site and found they have a similar recipe-- very close to the way I do it but I like some of their "tricks".

Here is the link to Gonnella's Italian Beef recipe.

I like the way they make gravy right in the pan- saves a little time from the way I do it, and also permits you to do everything on the BGE, though I'd refrigerate the roast and save all the juices, and finish the next day with a firmer roast for slicing thin.

Best of luck - Marge

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Your timing is absolutely perfect. Our neighbor was just talking about how much he enjoyed Italian Beef sandwiches with French Style dip. So we decided to make him our version on the Egg. Now you cam along and posted this recipe and we're going to see if we can duplicate it.

Thanks Mucho.

Spring "Little Bit Italian" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Large Marge
    Large Marge Posts: 404
    Options
    Hey- any time. Click on this link, it should take you to the last time I made Italian Beef on the egg. Try the Gonnella recipe for the roast, but see my post for how to fry the veggies, slice it all up and stew it together before serving. Good luck!

-Marge
  • MikeW
    MikeW Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks so much for the post and the link to Gonnella's Italian Beef recipe. I can't wait to try the receipe but being a less than experienced cook I have a question that I hope you can answer. During the cooking process, is it necessary or advisable to place the roast in a v rack while it is in the roasting pan or would the rack simply prevent the formation of all those little brown bits in the bottom of the roaster that will eventually give up their flavor to the "gravy"?

Thanks in advance, Mike