Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tragedy: Repairing Cracks in the Egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday, my egg (i.e., my third child) turned over while I was moving it. When I stopped weeping, I saw the damage. The top vent shattered into about five large pieces (and lots of ceramic dust.) The bottom half of the egg now has three long cracks running the length of the egg.[p]Does anyone have experience repairing an egg? The BGE website says to use a high-temperature epoxy. The epoxies available at my local home improvement stores have only a temperature tolerance up to 600 degrees. That seems like it's not enough. Is it?[p]I've seen other sites that suggest that, after the epoxy is applied, I should cover it in fireplace mortar. Any thoughts on that?[p]Also, if anyone has any particular thoughts on how I can reconstruct the top vent, I would appreciate those. I've almost resigned myself to the thought that I'll have to buy a new top half of the egg. But I'd love to fix the bottom half if I can.[p]Thanks.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Big Daddy Leroy,
    the shell of your egg won't get to 600. jbweld will start to soften if it gets over 600 or so, som if you use that, make sure the joints are tight and clean. it's unlikely the actual ceramic can get hot enough to melt the glue.[p]a platesetter won't really hold up, because it's immersed ina n environment that can get over 500, but the egg itself, well, it nevers sees 500 on the exterior. the whole joint would need to fail before it came apart, and the very insualtive nature of the ceramic itself will keep the joint cooler than JB Weld's failure temp.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Big Daddy Leroy,[p]As I look into the future I see a BIGGER green egg in the horizon...x-mas only a month away! Sorry for you lose.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Big Daddy Leroy,
    Sorry to hear about you misfortune, but when you get it straighteded out remember the cardinal rule for moving Eggs, pull them never push them. -RP

• Bigger
    Bigger Posts: 15
    Options
    Big Daddy Leroy,[p]I repaired a top to bottom crack in my egg...I used a heat resistant epoxy, (this one up to 400 degrees), it hasn't melted or re-opened after 3 months now. I didn't use JB Weld because it is a little too viscous to get deep into the crack. (although perhaps it would work for the top vent.) [p]Anyway, I used a syringe to inject the epoxy into the crack, and then worked dental floss up and down the entire crack once to spread out the glue. Then put the band back on the top. Tightening the band works as a clamp, and the epoxy dries completely in about 24 hours.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Big Daddy Leroy,[p]I broke the plate setter and talked with my dealer. He has repaired 2 plate setters using Gorilla Glue and said that has worked great for him.[p]I am going to give it a try just to see what happens and how strong.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,033
    Options
    Just a PSA here that paying cash money for BGE parts that are damaged is a terrible idea.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Just a PSA here that paying cash money for BGE parts that are damaged is a terrible idea.  
    Dang, I was just about to get a base on Craigslist for a steal!!! ;)
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,195
    Options
    Especially for $200. $15-$25 might be more appropriate. 
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    Or you could have a nice $200 Big Green flower pot.  What a steal.
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Options
    maybe the BGE won't get over 176 , but at what temp does lump get to , about 1400-1600 degrees.  
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    If you are thinking about buying a cracked Big Green Egg Base or Dome used, from lets say Craigs List, don't waste your money. They are getting rig of it because it can Not realistically be fixed. If it's only 25 bucks and you want to give it a shot, go for it. But some fools try and sell cracked and broken parts for $100-200...Don't fall for it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina wtf? Did you but some cracked parts that inspired you to resurrect a 10 yr old post?  Took a break from the beach to ask...