Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cook's Illustrated--interesting articles

GretlGretl Posts: 670
edited 1:32AM in EggHead Forum
Good read, good eats....[p]I just received my November/December issue of Cook's Illustrated magazine. I haven't had time to read the articles thoroughly but I think you'll be interested to know that there's a whole article dedicated to brining, how to do it, and how great it is, and another article called High-Roast Terkey Perfected: 90 minutes/450 degrees. This shows how to butterfly a turkey (not for the faint of heart), roast it at high heat over sausage stuffing, and how to carve it. There is also a recipe for turkey gravy. [p]And guess what, Brad....a whole article on Creme Brulee! ;-)[p]Cheers,
Gretl

·

Comments

• Gretl,[p]Thanks for the information. I tried brining last year's T-day turkey, but found it too salty. I'm going to have a "no-briner" again this year, as always. Of course, I use only New Mexico's finest organic turkeys.[p]Has anybody else had saltiness problems with brining?[p]Jim

·
  • Zen Cooker #1, When doing turkey (range raised, I agree) I marinate instead of brine and get the benefits of a brine. I make a blend of fresh jalapenoes, fresh ginger, garlic, in wine(or apple cider---depends of what I have and the flavor I want---I've even used root beer) and soy sauce. I then 'brine' my whole turkey for two or three days. The amount of soy sauce determines the saltiness of the results and I never use more than 1/3rd of a cup. I have never experienced too salty a result.....good luck.

·