Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cook's Illustrated--interesting articles

Gretl
Gretl Posts: 670
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good read, good eats....[p]I just received my November/December issue of Cook's Illustrated magazine. I haven't had time to read the articles thoroughly but I think you'll be interested to know that there's a whole article dedicated to brining, how to do it, and how great it is, and another article called High-Roast Terkey Perfected: 90 minutes/450 degrees. This shows how to butterfly a turkey (not for the faint of heart), roast it at high heat over sausage stuffing, and how to carve it. There is also a recipe for turkey gravy. [p]And guess what, Brad....a whole article on Creme Brulee! ;-)[p]Cheers,
Gretl

Comments

• Gretl,[p]Thanks for the information. I tried brining last year's T-day turkey, but found it too salty. I'm going to have a "no-briner" again this year, as always. Of course, I use only New Mexico's finest organic turkeys.[p]Has anybody else had saltiness problems with brining?[p]Jim

• Zen Cooker #1, When doing turkey (range raised, I agree) I marinate instead of brine and get the benefits of a brine. I make a blend of fresh jalapenoes, fresh ginger, garlic, in wine(or apple cider---depends of what I have and the flavor I want---I've even used root beer) and soy sauce. I then 'brine' my whole turkey for two or three days. The amount of soy sauce determines the saltiness of the results and I never use more than 1/3rd of a cup. I have never experienced too salty a result.....good luck.