Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Hey Sandi...

GretlGretl Posts: 670
edited 5:30PM in EggHead Forum
Could you please post your recipe for the Tomato Pie you did over the weekend? We're up to our ears in tomatoes and anything new and different is welcome. Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Gretl

Comments

• YBYB Posts: 3,861
    Gretl,
    This is a recipe we have cooked a couple of times...You can cook it on the Egg...It is very good.
    Larry

[ul][li]Tomato Pie[/ul]
  • GretlGretl Posts: 670
    YB,
    Thanks! That sounds delicious...an alternative to pizza!
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• YBYB Posts: 3,861
    Gretl,
    Your welcome...It goes good with just about any meat.
    Larry

• SandiSandi Posts: 107
    Gretl,[p]I looked at the recipe YB posted and it's pretty much on target. It is a very unforgiving recipe and pretty much like a *wet* pizza. Be SURE to let you tomatoes drain very well. Didn't notice if they used onions, but I layer tomatoes, onions, chives, spices (depends on your likes) DO NOT use packaged shredded cheese, for some reason, doesn't turn out as well for me, I buy a block and grate it myself. Good luck. Oh...after prebaking shell, sprinkle some fine dry breadcrumbs in the bottom to help absorb some of the moisture from the 'maters.

• SandiSandi Posts: 107
    Gretl,
    Had the time to peruse the recipe that YB posted. I have never used a pie crust for topping. That is something new that I MUST try. My topping was always just the mayo and cheese. As I said in earlier post, I layer tomatoes, onions, chives, garlic, etc. to the top, then top with mayo/cheese mixture! Had always done this in stove, but tried on the egg over the weekend. The subtle hint of smoke was WAY good! Let me know how it turns out for ya!