Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

A new cut of meat (for me anyway)!

Flashback BobFlashback Bob Posts: 518
edited 4:07PM in EggHead Forum
I've seen this non-descript "shoulder muscle" cut of beef at BJs and this time, while the meat man was there loading up the brisket, I asked him about it.[p]He said it has a vein running thru the middle, but other than that it's tender and tasty like filet mignon. I took it with a grain of salt, but then saw it was only $2.99/lb. So I tried it.[p]He was right![p]Except for that damn vein of gristle, it was tender and an absolutely delicious cut of beef! it reminded me of the best roast beefs I had as a kid growing up. Immediately flashed back to big Sunday dinners with relatives over.[p]If you see it, I recommend you buy it! If you have a BJ's near you, check it out.

Comments

• HaggisHaggis Posts: 998
    Flashback Bob,[p]I think the flatiron steak is cut out of the blade roast - is that what you have? [p]The hanger steak is a similar cut from near the diaphram - big piece of gristle in the middle. Mad Max swears by them.
  • Haggis,
    Sounds similar except on the package this said "Shoulder Muscle". It was one of those cuts that "inflates" as it cooks. started out flat like a thick steak and finished looking like a roast. I only cooked half of it so next time I will take pics![p]I think this is a question for Ask-a-Butcher.