Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A new cut of meat (for me anyway)!

Options
Flashback Bob
Flashback Bob Posts: 519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've seen this non-descript "shoulder muscle" cut of beef at BJs and this time, while the meat man was there loading up the brisket, I asked him about it.[p]He said it has a vein running thru the middle, but other than that it's tender and tasty like filet mignon. I took it with a grain of salt, but then saw it was only $2.99/lb. So I tried it.[p]He was right![p]Except for that damn vein of gristle, it was tender and an absolutely delicious cut of beef! it reminded me of the best roast beefs I had as a kid growing up. Immediately flashed back to big Sunday dinners with relatives over.[p]If you see it, I recommend you buy it! If you have a BJ's near you, check it out.

Comments

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Flashback Bob,[p]I think the flatiron steak is cut out of the blade roast - is that what you have? [p]The hanger steak is a similar cut from near the diaphram - big piece of gristle in the middle. Mad Max swears by them.
  • Flashback Bob
    Options
    Haggis,
    Sounds similar except on the package this said "Shoulder Muscle". It was one of those cuts that "inflates" as it cooks. started out flat like a thick steak and finished looking like a roast. I only cooked half of it so next time I will take pics![p]I think this is a question for Ask-a-Butcher.