Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Turkey for Xmas

DeanDean Posts: 29
edited 11:24AM in EggHead Forum
Happy Holidays, all.
Like Mop, I am attempting my first Turkey on this important occassion. I studied these postings hard at Tgiving. My questions are:
1) How do I crips it? Just the olive oil, or should I jack up the temp at the end?
2) How do I remove the hot heavy bird once done?
3) how much am I losing by not smoking at all (can't find pecan chips locally - should have sent away)

·

Comments

• Dean,[p]I have EGGed a bunch of turkeys over the past six monthes. All I do is to brush the turkey with olive oil, stuff it with apples, celery, etc. Spray a V rack with olice oil. Put the turkey on the V rack. Place rack (with turkey) over a drip pan in the BGE. Stabilize temp at 325 and cook away. About 20+ minutes per lb. You can brush with additional olive oil it you wish. (I don't) It will come off with nice golden brown, cruncy skin. [p]
    Internal breast should be about 165-170 to preserve moistness.[p]When done lift entire rack and over a cutting board, turn the rack upside dow so hot turkey slips off. Right the Turkey on the cutting board with breast side up. Cover with aluminim foil and a thick towel. Leave stand for 15-30 minutes. This will firm up the meat and the residual will finish cooking the turkey and raise the breast temp. a few more degrees. Then carve and serve.[p]As far as additonal wood chips for more smoke is concerned, that dependes on how smokey you like your meat. Poultry absorbs smoke quite quickly and so I usually do not add any wood-chips for more smoke. The lump smoke is sufficient for us. But that all depends on individual taste.[p]This method works well for me.Hope this helps you too. [p]Good luck, good cooking and a Merry Christmas to you.[p]Anthony[p]

·
  • Anthony Up North,
    I'm doing the same thing this year. Last year I tried a Prime Rib Roast, this year a Turkey and Slo-Mo's Spinach stuffed beef tenderloin (we're having a lot of company).[p]Last Thanksgiving I cooked a large 30 lb. turkey in my Large Egg, and I followed the rub recipe posted for Geoff's Super Buzzard Turkey. It turned out great! As Anthony points out, poultry takes on the smoke quite well. Pecan is good, but I like Apple wood just as well (a combination of the two is even better than either one alone!). I usually cook turkeys at 300-325 for 15-20 minutes/pound, or until the internal breast temperature is 160. [p]As for the browning of the skin, if you apply a rub to the meat under the skin, this will help the skin to brown. Additinally, brush on a nice coating of olive oil.[p]Removing the 30 lb bird was a chore. This year, I will cook the bird on a separate rack over a drip pan. That way, I'll just remove the entire rack/turkey combination with a pair of oven mits, bring it into the kitchen and allow the aroma to fill the house (starts the salivary glands working too) while it takes it's 20-30 minute rest before carving.[p]Good luck and Merry Christmas.
    bd

·
  • Dean,
    Just had 75-80 people through my house last night, and we put out the usual horse's ovaries, plus a ham my wife roasted, and a 17lb.turkey I Egg'd the evening before.[p]I did a 1/2 and 1/2 blend of pecan/maple. Nice smoke flavor but not overwhelming like when I did a bird 2years ago on my water smoker with hickory. If you can't find any wood, I think you'll be fine. Moisten that bird up with your pre-seasoning by either injecting it with a liquid spice blend (try 4oz.beer, 1/2 cup of olive oil and 2 minced garlic cloves, and 1/2teaspoon of cayenne- quick and easy)and/ or do a liberal rub "under" the skin, outside and inside the bird as well. The egg will keep things moist, figure on 300-325 and 15 minutes per pound. My bird (3rd meal on the egg since I bought it a week and half ago), came out great, and disappeared to rave reviews.

·