Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey for Xmas

Options
Dean
Dean Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Happy Holidays, all.
Like Mop, I am attempting my first Turkey on this important occassion. I studied these postings hard at Tgiving. My questions are:
1) How do I crips it? Just the olive oil, or should I jack up the temp at the end?
2) How do I remove the hot heavy bird once done?
3) how much am I losing by not smoking at all (can't find pecan chips locally - should have sent away)

Comments

• Anthony Up North
    Options
    Dean,[p]I have EGGed a bunch of turkeys over the past six monthes. All I do is to brush the turkey with olive oil, stuff it with apples, celery, etc. Spray a V rack with olice oil. Put the turkey on the V rack. Place rack (with turkey) over a drip pan in the BGE. Stabilize temp at 325 and cook away. About 20+ minutes per lb. You can brush with additional olive oil it you wish. (I don't) It will come off with nice golden brown, cruncy skin. [p]
    Internal breast should be about 165-170 to preserve moistness.[p]When done lift entire rack and over a cutting board, turn the rack upside dow so hot turkey slips off. Right the Turkey on the cutting board with breast side up. Cover with aluminim foil and a thick towel. Leave stand for 15-30 minutes. This will firm up the meat and the residual will finish cooking the turkey and raise the breast temp. a few more degrees. Then carve and serve.[p]As far as additonal wood chips for more smoke is concerned, that dependes on how smokey you like your meat. Poultry absorbs smoke quite quickly and so I usually do not add any wood-chips for more smoke. The lump smoke is sufficient for us. But that all depends on individual taste.[p]This method works well for me.Hope this helps you too. [p]Good luck, good cooking and a Merry Christmas to you.[p]Anthony[p]

• bdavidson
    Options
    Anthony Up North,
    I'm doing the same thing this year. Last year I tried a Prime Rib Roast, this year a Turkey and Slo-Mo's Spinach stuffed beef tenderloin (we're having a lot of company).[p]Last Thanksgiving I cooked a large 30 lb. turkey in my Large Egg, and I followed the rub recipe posted for Geoff's Super Buzzard Turkey. It turned out great! As Anthony points out, poultry takes on the smoke quite well. Pecan is good, but I like Apple wood just as well (a combination of the two is even better than either one alone!). I usually cook turkeys at 300-325 for 15-20 minutes/pound, or until the internal breast temperature is 160. [p]As for the browning of the skin, if you apply a rub to the meat under the skin, this will help the skin to brown. Additinally, brush on a nice coating of olive oil.[p]Removing the 30 lb bird was a chore. This year, I will cook the bird on a separate rack over a drip pan. That way, I'll just remove the entire rack/turkey combination with a pair of oven mits, bring it into the kitchen and allow the aroma to fill the house (starts the salivary glands working too) while it takes it's 20-30 minute rest before carving.[p]Good luck and Merry Christmas.
    bd

• Big Murth
    Options
    Dean,
    Just had 75-80 people through my house last night, and we put out the usual horse's ovaries, plus a ham my wife roasted, and a 17lb.turkey I Egg'd the evening before.[p]I did a 1/2 and 1/2 blend of pecan/maple. Nice smoke flavor but not overwhelming like when I did a bird 2years ago on my water smoker with hickory. If you can't find any wood, I think you'll be fine. Moisten that bird up with your pre-seasoning by either injecting it with a liquid spice blend (try 4oz.beer, 1/2 cup of olive oil and 2 minced garlic cloves, and 1/2teaspoon of cayenne- quick and easy)and/ or do a liberal rub "under" the skin, outside and inside the bird as well. The egg will keep things moist, figure on 300-325 and 15 minutes per pound. My bird (3rd meal on the egg since I bought it a week and half ago), came out great, and disappeared to rave reviews.