Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

SpiceCooks Chop Brining Question

Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,342
edited 3:42AM in EggHead Forum
I have heard such great things about the "Grilled Thick Cut Pork Chops", that I would like to try it out. [p]I have some pretty wimpy chops, maybe 1/2 inch thick at best. They look good, just cut thin. Do I cut the brining time in half? Or reduce salt?[p]Thanks
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
·

Comments

• djm5x9djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Nature Boy:[p]My thoughts are you may want to reduce the time. The butcher shop I frequent in Coal Mountain does nothing less than 1 1/4" chops. Brined, rubbed, and grilled chops are just great! Gotta try them.
    ·
  • Nature Boy,
    My thoughts on this one would be to cut the time. I would not reduce the salt. Let me know how they turn out.

·
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,342
    SpiceCooks,
    I brined 2 hours with a reduced recipe (only 3 anemic chops). Sprinkled VERY lightly with JJs rub (wanted to see how the brine was).[p]Very nice results. The chops were very thin, but still quite moist. The flavor was deep, and really stimulated my taste buds. Only problem, was I didn't have anymore fresh garlic, and I know that is a big part of the brine. I substituted with garlic powder, and it was great. I can imagine fresh garlic would have been twice as good. I use fresh garlic often, and was bummed when I saw there was none. But the garlic powder held its own, and the dinner was great.[p]Can't wait to try it with fresh garlic, and thick chops as intended!! [p]I think this recipe should be promoted to the main recipe section.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    ·
  • JeffJeff Posts: 75
    djm5x9,
    Do you go to Fergusin's (sp?} by chance? Fancy new place they built. My in-laws love the place on the way to Big Canoe. My father-in-law has really gotten into my Med. BGE that was there "for me only"

·