Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SpiceCooks Chop Brining Question

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have heard such great things about the "Grilled Thick Cut Pork Chops", that I would like to try it out. [p]I have some pretty wimpy chops, maybe 1/2 inch thick at best. They look good, just cut thin. Do I cut the brining time in half? Or reduce salt?[p]Thanks
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Nature Boy:[p]My thoughts are you may want to reduce the time. The butcher shop I frequent in Coal Mountain does nothing less than 1 1/4" chops. Brined, rubbed, and grilled chops are just great! Gotta try them.
  • Nature Boy,
    My thoughts on this one would be to cut the time. I would not reduce the salt. Let me know how they turn out.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    SpiceCooks,
    I brined 2 hours with a reduced recipe (only 3 anemic chops). Sprinkled VERY lightly with JJs rub (wanted to see how the brine was).[p]Very nice results. The chops were very thin, but still quite moist. The flavor was deep, and really stimulated my taste buds. Only problem, was I didn't have anymore fresh garlic, and I know that is a big part of the brine. I substituted with garlic powder, and it was great. I can imagine fresh garlic would have been twice as good. I use fresh garlic often, and was bummed when I saw there was none. But the garlic powder held its own, and the dinner was great.[p]Can't wait to try it with fresh garlic, and thick chops as intended!! [p]I think this recipe should be promoted to the main recipe section.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Jeff
    Jeff Posts: 75
    djm5x9,
    Do you go to Fergusin's (sp?} by chance? Fancy new place they built. My in-laws love the place on the way to Big Canoe. My father-in-law has really gotten into my Med. BGE that was there "for me only"