Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here

Smoked Tri-tip?

T-47T-47 Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was just wondering from some of you Master Grillers...that is of course anyone with an opinion...A buddy of mine says he gets BBQ Beef sandwiches at a small BBQ place and the guy says he prefers to serve smoked tri-tip rather than brisket as his beef. My buddy says the sandwiches are great. I have heard that there is no "real" benefit to smoking a tri-tip because it is already pretty tender. Well anyway, I just rubbed a tri-tip down with some dizzy pig cowlick, and was thinking tomorrow night I might smoke it, then sear it. I guess my real question is, if I want it medium rare, how far do I take the smoke before I remove it and heat up the cooker for a sear. If I am going to sear for a couple minutes a side, does anyone have a ballpark of how much the temp might climb? I am open to suggestions of course, just thought I would try something different.