Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Alpine Success with Egged Grub

Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,291
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy!
Just back from 2 weeks backpacking in the Sawtooth Mountains, and wanted to thank those who helped with tips on dehydrating egged grub. The food was a huge success, and I believe I won't be buying the pre-packaged freeze-dried food anymore.[p]The Jerked Jerky was awesome, and held up well without dehydrating. The brisket I cooked and dehydrated for the chili was incredible. An 8 pound brisket weighed under a pound after 18 hours in the egg, and 7 hours in the dehydrator (sliced up). It rehydrated quickly in the wilderness, and made a great pot of chili, along with the egg-smoked peppers and onions (also dehydrated). [p]The dijon-bourbon salmon (Gretl rules) was also awesome. It took 12 hours to dehydrate (lots of oil in it) but rehydrated in 90 minutes, and made a KILLER Salmon fetuccini. [p]All the great food combined with cobalt blue skies, trout filled lakes, peace and quiet, and jagged peaks sure makes it tough to come back to the DC area! A smokin egg will fix that though.[p]Thanks again everyone.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings

Comments

• djm5x9djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Nature Boy:[p]Sounds like you had a great time. Good to have you back . . .

• CornfedCornfed Posts: 1,324
    Nature Boy,[p]Sounds terrific. Glad to have you back![p]Cornfed
  • SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    Nature Boy,[p]A real acid test. Glad you enjoyed the results and welcome back.[p]Spin

• GrumpaGrumpa Posts: 861
    Nature Boy,[p]Well......look who's back. I was begining to think a bear gotcha or something. Sounds like you had a great trip and now will be worthless for 2 more weeks while you recouperate. Betcha missed the egg as much as you did the comfort of a bed.[p]Glad you had a good time in the outdoors. Nothing like it.

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,291
    Bob,
    Thanks yall.
    hehe! Did not see a bear, but saw tracks and scat, and heard reports of recent sightings. Apparently they are hungry because of the dry weather (we had 4 hours of light rain in 17 days). The scariest part was the day that smoke from a distant fire blotted out the sun...and ashes were snowing from the sky. At the time we didn't realize the fire was 30 miles away, and thought it was closer. A lot of people are working their tails off to fight those things (nearly 100 fires bigger than a thousand acres each [some hundreds of thousands] are now burning in Idaho and Montana). Hats off to the firefighters.[p]Tis good to be home...I lost over 10 pounds, and need started back on track tonight with egged chicken breasts. Ribs tomorrow. I admit, the bed is nice! You are right though...nothing like the great outdoors. [p]Looks like lunch AND dinner on the egg tomorrow.
    Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • FritzFritz Posts: 179
    Nature Boy,[p]Jerked Jerky? Do tell. I imagine you used a marinade on the meat and then smoked lo/slo for a while.[p]The great outdoors is wonderful. We may go camping this weekend. Looking at a couple of KY State Parks around here.[p]Fritz
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,291
    Fritz,
    I found that Jamaican jerk seasoning adds a great kick....and a catchy name. (I usedWalkerswood Jerk Seasoning....soon I will try the Eaton's that RhumAndJerk gave me). I did not write down what I did,but basically I used the base ingredients (soy, sugar, molasses) from Gfw's River City recipe, and added a few HEAPING tablespoons of the jerk seasoning. Marinated the strips overnight, and smoked at 200 for 8-10 hours turning every hour so. Yum. [p]Have a blast camping! The East is full of bugs now from all the rain. Bring ye ole' deet!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com