Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alpine Success with Egged Grub

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy!
Just back from 2 weeks backpacking in the Sawtooth Mountains, and wanted to thank those who helped with tips on dehydrating egged grub. The food was a huge success, and I believe I won't be buying the pre-packaged freeze-dried food anymore.[p]The Jerked Jerky was awesome, and held up well without dehydrating. The brisket I cooked and dehydrated for the chili was incredible. An 8 pound brisket weighed under a pound after 18 hours in the egg, and 7 hours in the dehydrator (sliced up). It rehydrated quickly in the wilderness, and made a great pot of chili, along with the egg-smoked peppers and onions (also dehydrated). [p]The dijon-bourbon salmon (Gretl rules) was also awesome. It took 12 hours to dehydrate (lots of oil in it) but rehydrated in 90 minutes, and made a KILLER Salmon fetuccini. [p]All the great food combined with cobalt blue skies, trout filled lakes, peace and quiet, and jagged peaks sure makes it tough to come back to the DC area! A smokin egg will fix that though.[p]Thanks again everyone.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Nature Boy:[p]Sounds like you had a great time. Good to have you back . . .

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Nature Boy,[p]Sounds terrific. Glad to have you back![p]Cornfed
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Nature Boy,[p]A real acid test. Glad you enjoyed the results and welcome back.[p]Spin

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Nature Boy,[p]Well......look who's back. I was begining to think a bear gotcha or something. Sounds like you had a great trip and now will be worthless for 2 more weeks while you recouperate. Betcha missed the egg as much as you did the comfort of a bed.[p]Glad you had a good time in the outdoors. Nothing like it.

• Nature Boy
    Bob,
    Thanks yall.
    hehe! Did not see a bear, but saw tracks and scat, and heard reports of recent sightings. Apparently they are hungry because of the dry weather (we had 4 hours of light rain in 17 days). The scariest part was the day that smoke from a distant fire blotted out the sun...and ashes were snowing from the sky. At the time we didn't realize the fire was 30 miles away, and thought it was closer. A lot of people are working their tails off to fight those things (nearly 100 fires bigger than a thousand acres each [some hundreds of thousands] are now burning in Idaho and Montana). Hats off to the firefighters.[p]Tis good to be home...I lost over 10 pounds, and need started back on track tonight with egged chicken breasts. Ribs tomorrow. I admit, the bed is nice! You are right though...nothing like the great outdoors. [p]Looks like lunch AND dinner on the egg tomorrow.
    Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    Nature Boy,[p]Jerked Jerky? Do tell. I imagine you used a marinade on the meat and then smoked lo/slo for a while.[p]The great outdoors is wonderful. We may go camping this weekend. Looking at a couple of KY State Parks around here.[p]Fritz
  • Nature Boy
    Fritz,
    I found that Jamaican jerk seasoning adds a great kick....and a catchy name. (I usedWalkerswood Jerk Seasoning....soon I will try the Eaton's that RhumAndJerk gave me). I did not write down what I did,but basically I used the base ingredients (soy, sugar, molasses) from Gfw's River City recipe, and added a few HEAPING tablespoons of the jerk seasoning. Marinated the strips overnight, and smoked at 200 for 8-10 hours turning every hour so. Yum. [p]Have a blast camping! The East is full of bugs now from all the rain. Bring ye ole' deet!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com