Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Halibut Steaks

MACMAC Posts: 442
edited 4:41PM in EggHead Forum
I don't ask often, but I need your help. My wife brough home 10 1/2LB halibut steaks for a family cook out tonight. What kind of marinade should I use and what kind of smoke for the fish. I could use Nature Boys method of thawing them over smoke and then grilling them for 8 Minutes per side at 350. Am I on the right track? Thanks in advance.
·

Comments

• GfwGfw Posts: 1,598
    MAC, I use JJ's method of 10 minutes per side per inch of thickness at 350 degrees - I think you are right on target - the marinate I used... [p]1/2 Cup Lemon Juice (1 lemon balance was Real Lemon)
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    2 tbls Paprika
    1 tbls onion flakes
    2 tsp dried basil
    2 tsp dried thyme leaves
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1 tsp dried parsley
    1/2 tsp black pepper

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
    ·
  • char buddychar buddy Posts: 562
    MAC,[p]I'd add a few alder chips to the fire if you got'em and I'd put them on an alder plank if you got that as well. [p]
    ·
  • char buddychar buddy Posts: 562
    MAC,[p]We did halibut steaks last night too. Our marinade is pretty much like the one GFW published. We got our recipe from the Canyon Ranch cookbook: 2 tbs olive oil, 2 tbs lemon juice, 2 tbs white wine, three or four sprigs of fresh rosemary, 1/4 tps salt, 1/4 tps fresh black pepper. This is a recipe for one pound of halibut. We increased the olive oil to 4 tbs and used it for two pounds of halibut. [p]After a week-long binge on ribs and butts, this recipe was a good change of pace diet-wise. Low in carbs (1 gram), low in calories (154), low fat (4 grams), low cholesterol (36 mgs), high protein (24 grams). [p]I planked the two halibut steaks on alder wood and put a few alder chips in the fire and cooked at 350-400 for 30-45 minutes.[p]I took them off just as they began to form flakes - a little underdone. I wished I'd let them firm up a bit more, but this is the way my wife likes them. So did the guests. [p]I cranked humpty up to 600 for hamburgers for the kids. Those were so good, that grown ups literally took food from the mouths of their children.

From all I heard from our guests I would guess they're gonna get an egg in a couple months - then my egg will have a new friend to play with. [p]

·