Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Halibut Steaks

Options
MAC
MAC Posts: 442
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don't ask often, but I need your help. My wife brough home 10 1/2LB halibut steaks for a family cook out tonight. What kind of marinade should I use and what kind of smoke for the fish. I could use Nature Boys method of thawing them over smoke and then grilling them for 8 Minutes per side at 350. Am I on the right track? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    MAC, I use JJ's method of 10 minutes per side per inch of thickness at 350 degrees - I think you are right on target - the marinate I used... [p]1/2 Cup Lemon Juice (1 lemon balance was Real Lemon)
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    2 tbls Paprika
    1 tbls onion flakes
    2 tsp dried basil
    2 tsp dried thyme leaves
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1 tsp dried parsley
    1/2 tsp black pepper

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    MAC,[p]I'd add a few alder chips to the fire if you got'em and I'd put them on an alder plank if you got that as well. [p]
  • char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    MAC,[p]We did halibut steaks last night too. Our marinade is pretty much like the one GFW published. We got our recipe from the Canyon Ranch cookbook: 2 tbs olive oil, 2 tbs lemon juice, 2 tbs white wine, three or four sprigs of fresh rosemary, 1/4 tps salt, 1/4 tps fresh black pepper. This is a recipe for one pound of halibut. We increased the olive oil to 4 tbs and used it for two pounds of halibut. [p]After a week-long binge on ribs and butts, this recipe was a good change of pace diet-wise. Low in carbs (1 gram), low in calories (154), low fat (4 grams), low cholesterol (36 mgs), high protein (24 grams). [p]I planked the two halibut steaks on alder wood and put a few alder chips in the fire and cooked at 350-400 for 30-45 minutes.[p]I took them off just as they began to form flakes - a little underdone. I wished I'd let them firm up a bit more, but this is the way my wife likes them. So did the guests. [p]I cranked humpty up to 600 for hamburgers for the kids. Those were so good, that grown ups literally took food from the mouths of their children.

From all I heard from our guests I would guess they're gonna get an egg in a couple months - then my egg will have a new friend to play with. [p]